Robbed on Holiday

Just to note, I never take valuables with me on hols and always bring passport/ wallet/phone/camera with me everywhere I go.

I have a similar but slightly different approach. Passport, phone and camera are easily replaced. Wallet, cash and jewellery are not. As a rule I always keep these on me. The rest I keep in the safe when not in use on holidays. I know its a bit late now and it must be awful to lose the new engagement ring.

As a long shot you could ask the hotel to put up a notice - "Engagement ring lost in hotel restaurant. €500 Reward"

Worse case the notice is ignored.

I was on holidays with friends about 8 years ago in Turkey and we all had our money in the safe in seperate envelopes. And we only seemed to take it out together at night when going out. The safe was at reception. The last few nights we noticed that a bit of money seemed to be taken from each of our envelopes as we always counted it when we where finished it. We got the manager of the apartment and called our Budget Rep who filed the complaint at the time the apartment manager was more or else saying we must have been robbing from each other.

When i got home i contacted Budget Travel and got no where with them so i brought them to the Small Claims Court and one the case and i got £150 out of it as i was the only person from our group who went ahead with the case.

So you could always try this.

OP is having a hard time here, without anyone calling to question the relevance of any information in their post, it was pretty detailed.

I suspect OP was trying to explain that Hotel staff had the opportunity to see that the couple had an engagement ring.
So you're not sure of the relevance of that information either? Fair enough.

So sorry to hear your terrible experience. I can only imagiine the shock you must have felt and all you went through. I have heard so many people getting robbed in the street, at airports etc. but in your case, its much worse. Sorry I only have sympathy and not any help but really hope things work out well in the end:eek:

Dreadful experience. Most places now have those electronic safes but in this case it wouldn't appear to have made any difference if the thiefs made of with the actual safe. Wonder was it replaced before the next customers arrived? If it was I would be very suspicious.

Hi,

that is just awful - you must be sick with disappointment.
Unfortunately if you dont have insurance, there's little chance of getting any recompense.

On your house insurance - are you SURE your ring isnt included. I.e. do you HAVE to state the ring separately? Maybe there is a clause that items over xxxE need to be stated separately, so could you at least claim the xxxE towards the cost of the ring?
Can you at least claim the cost of phones, wallet, cash, replacement passports and keys etc, off your insurance?

It does sound VERY dodgy that the hotel was immediately prepared to give you 1000E, without a formal claim from you. Normally hotels would have cover absolving themselves from items kept in the safe.
But since its a foreign country, it would be very difficult to have pursued a claim of liability against the hotel.

Its no help, but maybe try to console yourself with the thought that these are only material things, and how much worse it would be if you or just fiance had had an accident.
(Last year I lost a suitcase with a few thousand euro worth of possessions inside. I was devastated, but managed to get over it by remembering they were just material possessions (but, in your case the engagement ring is more significant) ).
Best of luck with what happens..

I just thought, if you have travel insurance AND house insurance, can you claim for the wallet/replacement of passports/cash etc TWICE?
I thought initially no, but maybe you can, since you insured yourself twice.

So it would mean at least you could get :
-1000E from hotel
- 400E from travel insurance (you said this is the maximum)
- whatever amount is valid from the house insurance claim.
This would add up to a couple of thousand euro which would help towards replacing the ring.

Thanks to all for useful suggestions. We are going to start the ball rolling with a letter of comlaint to Budget Travel. Does anyone know what the official time period is, in which Budget must reply to the complaint?

Does anyone know what the official time period is, in which Budget must reply to the complaint?
You must put your complaint in writing to them within 28 days of your return from the holiday.

[broken link removed]

I'm not aware of any time limit on them responding. Not sure if Budget are members of the ITAA but [broken link removed] might also be of use.

Back