Roads not salted ! Why ? surely there was enough notice ??

B

billko

Travelled on the N4 between Kinnegad and Enfield this morning and it was like an ice ring ! .. just asking myself why I actually bother paying road tax !

RECESSION!!!!!! No money from central gov to do this anymore. Only main roads covered, so I take it once the M4 opened and bypassed Kinnegad and Enfield the N4 is NOT now a main road!!!!!

Travelled on the N4 between Kinnegad and Enfield this morning and it was like an ice ring ! .. just asking myself why I actually bother paying road tax !

Feel your pain mate - Blueberry Restaurant to Enfield Village was over 2 hours this morning.
(That's about 5 miles for the unfamiliar).
Absolutely NO road treatment and everything ground to a halt until the gardai appeared and spread gravel on the road.
Total of 6 hours in the car today.

Typical Ireland...
Fellow county councillors, how will we save money? Save on our expenses? Take a paycut? Change from Elite biscuits to Rich Tea at our pointless meetings?? Nah, let's stop gritting the roads. Sure who cares if a few people end up in a ditch or worse still, killed. It's not as if we'll be up out of our beds at that hour of the morning anyway.

Will Gay Byrne change his constant "Slow Down" bleating to "Grit the roads when they're like an ice rink"? Not bleeding likely..

I must have been charmed this morning. Drove Blackwater Co. Wexford to Parkwest, via R741, N11, M50, N7. Managed to do the 80 miles in the standard 100 minutes, in spite of a few heavy snow showers and locally untreated roads.

Only set off at 10am though. I'm sure it's the rush hour that makes the difference ... any tiny hiccup sends it over the edge and into multi-hour delays.

Main roads not done around Dublin. Took me 3.5 hours to get from city centre from Blanch and the N3 was slippery central!

Spending money on gritters, snow ploughs and other machinery to deal with this type of weather does not make sense. How often do we need them? How often do we get heavy falls of snow? Once every few years at best.

We could spend substantial amounts of money to prepare for this eventuality. Or we could spend the money on services that will be used on a far more regular basis. Personally I can deal with the hardship of a fall of snow and let our money be spent on something we actually use.

left portlaoise at 6:15 this morning.....dunlaoighre for 9:50 - joke - total of 7 hr 35 mins in the car today

It took me 35 mins to get from Arklow to Enniscorthy and then a further 1h40 from Enniscorthy to Wexford Town... a journey of 20 mins max. Not helped by a stupid bint doing 25kph and holding up a line of traffic 2km long. When I got past her, I saw that she was
(a) on L plates
(b) yammering into her mobile and not paying a blind bit of notice to anything around her

Was severely tempted to get out of my car & confiscate her mobile but being a lady, stayed in the warm comfort and finished my coffee instead - luckily for her

Wasn't exactly asking for snow ploughs ..just a little salt and we already have the equipment for that ! It was fine this morning and there was more snow in the last 24 hrs than the previous so it shows that salt is more than capable of taking care of it. If you call that heavy snow, maybe you should head outside the M50 a little more .. coastal areas never get it bad !
As far as I can see, it is simply a result of ' the slopely shoulder syndrome ' on behalf of the co. councils's. This stretch of road is right on the border of Meath and Kildare so I guess they were afraid of helping out each other.

As far as I can see, it is simply a result of ' the slopely shoulder syndrome ' on behalf of the co. councils's. This stretch of road is right on the border of Meath and Kildare so I guess they were afraid of helping out each other.

+1......
It has been like that for years, I wish they could sit down and figure this one out.

Left Dublin @ 7pm Monday and didn't get home till 12:30
Weather, would you ever imagine a 40 min tripsown the Naas
Road would take over 5 hours

Regards,Dee

Do you mean the N4 or M4. I'd say the n4 is now a secondary road and they often dont grit these. Many roads near me were gritted 3 times last night. The continous snow fall and depth of snow make gritting pretty useless really. Much better on icey roads. Timing a grit run is a game of poker and the overtime bill is huge. All this is added expense to the tax payer and the people will still demand gritting even though it is very limited in its results.

Back