Road Traffic Amendment Bill & Insurance 'Fronting'

Leo

Report here that the government are proposing an add-on to the Road Traffic (Amendment) Bill to tackle insurance fronting with penalties of up to €2,000 and six months jail.

There's nothing in the Bill [broken link removed] or proposed [broken link removed] yet though.

I notice they're also introducing an offence of walking on an unlit road without a high-vis jacket or vest..with no mention of time of day.

Another change for the Dail publicans to look at expanding the rural transport scheme 'to incorporate transport matters relating to rural licenced premises'.

I had not heard the term "fronting" before

Apparently, it means parents taking out the insurance and naming the child as a named driver, whereas in reality, the child is the main driver.

Brendan

It doesn't actually even intend to outlaw 'fronting', in that someone could still put themselves forward for insurance purposes as the main driver, and if the son\daughter\brother whoever had a full licence, it would not be illegal under the proposals.

You would think this is sanction enough, according to Aviva:
“From our perspective, we’ve seen a significant rise in the number of drivers who have accidents and are driving unaccompanied.”
In such circumstances, companies have the right to reject a claim “if a driver was driving outside the terms of their licence”.
“I know of a driver whose €25,000 car was written off and the insurer refused to meet the cost of replacement because the driver was on a learner permit and was unaccompanied,” said Michael Bannon, the motor manager for Aviva. “The owner now has a €25,000 bank loan and nothing to show for it.”

In France, you don't even need any kind of licence to drive unaccompanied, but the car can only do 45kmh and can't drive on motorways - and it'd be pretty obvious that the car shouldn't be there...
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35210572

Back