Risks having a public IP address at home?

Marge

Hello there,

As a non technical person, can anyone advise on the following:

I have a home broadband package from Eircom & work from home. (I currently expense my home broadband cost as a result)

Due to a new phone system at work, all home worker have been asked to upgrade their broadband to a package which will enable us to register for a public IP address so as to access this new phone system.

My questions are, are there any security risks with having a public IP address?

Also, from a privacy point of view will my employer be able to see all internet records/activity etc. used via this address. (This is my private Eircom account and my family use this during evenings/weekends etc...)

Thanks in advance,

Marge

Generally speaking, there are no additional security concerns. Presumably your employer wants you to get a static IP address for some sort of VPN connection to the office? If so, it could be that they will choose to proxy all internet traffic through a central filter, in which case they could see what sites etc you are visiting, not that common but certainly possible.

Marge

Quite possibly what they want to do is supply you with a VOIP phone at home linked to the new telephone system in the office. With static IP address it is easier to route traffic from remote sites to/from the PBX. If they ask you to use or install a VPN client always turn this off before you do your surfing to AAM etc., without the VPN client turned off all your internet traffic could be routed via the office, logged, and available to office admins.

Good luck

Eoin

Back