Rise of extremist politics

At the time, crippling taxation and mortgage interest rates applied to every taxpayer and every mortgage holder as did inflationary prices, regardless of their moral makeup.

Morality or lack of it is an intergenerational constant.

The former was a generational variable, which thankfully does not apply today.

Ask yourself what if it did.

We can all put a hardship spin on most things (like the "cattle boat" to england like you were being shipped to Auschwitz) but both you and I started work with the realistic expectation that we could buy a home.

You didn't get a year out in Australia but you are getting a retirement in Spain and wherever else you feel like going. You may have contributed to a pension all your life but if it is a State pension then you certainly didn't come anywhere close to paying for it. The parents who funded the three months in Australia or the USA? Their kids are now paying for their retirement, and will be paying for it long after those parents are dead, so it turns out it was a good investment.

That free ride into relatively good employment in Ireland, that doesn't include the ability to buy a home and probably won't include a State pension. Maybe it's not as good as you think.

I took the above from a longer post by Purple.

1.(a) I presume you never boarded a train to catch the "cattle" boat in Rosslare in the 1960's. Both were an experience. Neither was the experience of 1st Class on a UAE Airbus. I'd love to see a modern day teenager being able to time-travel back and experience travel from Ireland to the UK which is nothing like travel today.

(b) You eventually arrived in the UK and travelled onto your destination. Mostly the Irish arrived in London, hoped to find accommodation after spending some time with relations. If you hadn't a drink problem before you left Ireland the chances were you'd have drink problems in the UK. Believe me the publicity pertaining to No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish was true.

(c) Many Irish worked on the "lump" system. You got paid on completion of the job which usually ran into weeks. There was a good chance that you'd would be ripped off too and got much less than you thought you would. It wasn't only the dishonest Brits that ripped us off, it was dishonest Irish.

You're right, we weren't headed to Auschwitz, I never said we were. But, I would advise that if you ever thank God or whoever or whatever you believe in be grateful that you were on none of those cattle trains or cattle boats many of us endured before we arrived where we were largely not wanted.

2. We spend several months per year in Spain. We bought our own apartment there. We are entitled to travel there as much as we wish. We worked for what we bought and paid honest earned money. We rent it out (and before you ask, we are 100% tax complicit). You might remember for years the government advertised that the pension funds would come under pressure eventually and to make plans for a good retirement, Ours was to buy in Spain. I stated on another thread on this forum the folly of our investment - it did not work out, unfortunately. But, I didn't go cap-in-hand to anybody asking for a bail-out. We took it on the chin. And if we feel like spending a few week in Spain next month,, we bloody well will.

3. A good investment paying for our kids to spend a year out in Australia - No bloody way; it fostered silver-spooning into their future. (My opinion, and I'm sticking by it).

Nor has it anything to do with the "crash" (the crash actually helped housing affordability for a while and still is dong so with ridiculously low interest rates).

I would recommend David McWilliams latest podcast "The Giant Global Housing Swindle".
Rather than the crash making housing more affordable, it just saddled a generation with life-long debt. The only beneficiaries were those who were already out of reach of unsustainable debt and were able to buy more property at low prices, resulting in greater centralisation of wealth.
The pension debate wont be resolved by politicians dictating what age a person should, could or will have to retire. It will be resolved by necessity. The necessity of large swathes of working people having to work into their 70's to pay off the crippling debt.
It remains to be seen if the generation entering the workforce today will continue to tolerate this bankrupt and bogus ideology of 'trickle-down free-market' economics.

1.(a) I presume you never boarded a train to catch the "cattle" boat in Rosslare in the 1960's. Both were an experience. Neither was the experience of 1st Class on a UAE Airbus. I'd love to see a modern day teenager being able to time-travel back and experience travel from Ireland to the UK which is nothing like travel today.

(b) You eventually arrived in the UK and travelled onto your destination. Mostly the Irish arrived in London, hoped to find accommodation after spending some time with relations. If you hadn't a drink problem before you left Ireland the chances were you'd have drink problems in the UK. Believe me the publicity pertaining to No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish was true.

(c) Many Irish worked on the "lump" system. You got paid on completion of the job which usually ran into weeks. There was a good chance that you'd would be ripped off too and got much less than you thought you would. It wasn't only the dishonest Brits that ripped us off, it was dishonest Irish.

Young people in the 1960s struggled to overcome the obstacles in their way and took the opportunities that were offered to them. Young people today face their own obstacles and opportunities.

Todays youth would probably find the issues of the 1960s more challenging than you did, because they were not reared in that time.

I have no doubt that a person who was young in the 1960s would be very challenged by the world of todays young.

To my mind the biggest shift is that education is now more widely available, and that is a challenge for individuals as well as an opportunity.

Young people in the 1960s struggled to overcome the obstacles in their way and took the opportunities that were offered to them. Young people today face their own obstacles and opportunities.

Todays youth would probably find the issues of the 1960s more challenging than you did, because they were not reared in that time.

I have no doubt that a person who was young in the 1960s would be very challenged by the world of todays young.

To my mind the biggest shift is that education is now more widely available, and that is a challenge for individuals as well as an opportunity.

I'm fully acquainted with what you are trying to say. But, I can inform anybody looking in the youth of today would have capitulated when faced with a fraction of the problems of the 1960's.

As for education today I reckon it is wasted on most.;

I'm fully acquainted with what you are trying to say. But, I can inform anybody looking in the youth of today would have capitulated when faced with a fraction of the problems of the 1960's.

As for education today I reckon it is wasted on most.;

I disagree.

I think you and also Purple are underestimating the next generation.

I don't think they will waste their working lives feeling hard done by or that their lives have been "screwed up".

The ability to overcome adversity is perennial.

Like previous generations, they will find ways. A lot of the career paths they will follow probably cannot be imagined right now.

It is not or should not be about which generation is morally better or more hardworking , that is Purple's slant.

It's about exchequer in/exchequer out.

It is a fact that current pensioners contributed more to the exchequer for most of their working lives than the current workforce, not because they wanted to but because they had no choice.

Regarding the post title, I don't see any party as being particularly extremist.

At all events, whatever party(parties) form a government they will have to comply with the rules of the Stability and Growth Pact.

Copy/paste from www.irishtimes.com.

"This is not an invitation to amnesia. All the victims of violence during the Troubles have a right to justice. All the perpetrators must be held to account. The blood on Sinn Féin’s hands cannot be washed away without a much more honest and less hypocritical acceptance of responsibility for its part in a moral and political disaster."

"But there is also an equal and opposite threat to democracy. If about 20 per cent of voters choose Sinn Féin, there is a real problem in telling them that their votes cannot count in the formation of a government. The Irish political system has evolved into one in which the election merely determines who has a seat at the bargaining table. Excluding Sinn Féin didn’t really matter when the party was effectively excluding itself in advance – its voters knew what they were getting. But this has now changed – people vote for Sinn Féin in the expectation that their vote counts as much as everyone else’s. To tell them otherwise is not just disrespectful – it is dangerous."

Back