Rise of extremist politics

Purple

Given that according to the latest opinion poll the far left is now getting over 25% of the vote should we be worried about Ireland following much of Europe into that political landscape?
In some countries it is the far right who are on the rise. In Ireland it is the far left. They are equally dangerous to society.

I often wonder if people who support particular parties (SF in particular) realise just how far left they are?
I think the problem is there's no real alternative to FG / FF that isn't very far left.

Personally, I think the rise of independents is more worrying and damaging long term. At least with a party, whichever side of the spectrum, they can come up with a policy and be elected on that basis, rather than typically 'parish' issues that don't effect the whole economy one way or the other.

Your definition of "far left" includes who? SF/PBP? Does the latest opinion poll not actually show a decrease in their combined support?
I'd be fairly certain, notwithstanding that poll at the weekend that both those parties/groups will lose seats and return with lower numbers in the next Dáil.
I would also be certain that the combined number of seats for "soft left" - Social Democrats/Greens/Labour will increase so are we not seeing a move towards the centre?

Given that according to the latest opinion poll the far left is now getting over 25% of the vote should we be worried about Ireland following much of Europe into that political landscape?
In some countries it is the far right who are on the rise. In Ireland it is the far left. They are equally dangerous to society.
With SF 19% in latest poll, I presume this really means are we concerned with the rise of the SF vote from 6.5% in the 2002 GE. Answer is Yes and No. Yes for obvious reasons but let me give two reasons for No.

Generally this vote is grounded in the less educated and more ignorant sections of the populace who are vulnerable to having racist and other unsavoury sentiments exploited. To be fair to Grizzly he more or less suppressed the Holohan wing of the party so that SF is recognisably progressive on social and similar issues. SF vent their escape valve for ignorant bigotry in being anti-Brit.

But the real reason for "welcoming" SF cornering this rise in the anti establishment feeling is market niche, because of their dubious past the lead centrist parties will not have them in coalition (at least for now). If SF were a truly constitutional party they would be almost certain to be in power after this GE. Put another way, these extremist elements of whatever flavour are entering coalitions in other EU countries but for the moment at least the whiff of gunpowder is keeping the reins of power safely out of their grasp.

Last edited:
Your definition of "far left" includes who? SF/PBP? Does the latest opinion poll not actually show a decrease in their combined support?
Solidarity, PBP, the Shinners etc are all in that basket.

The Shinners are particularly worrying as they are run from the UK by a terrorist organisation.

Solidarity, PBP, the Shinners etc are all in that basket.

The Shinners are particularly worrying as they are run from the UK by a terrorist organisation.
Where do you see SF and Solidarity/PBP/Rise/People's Front of Judea picking up seats?

Seriously doubt SF will retain the 2 seats in Dublin Mid West they have, they've lost a number of sitting TDs, they're not going to get 2 in Louth or Cavan-Monaghan. They will lose at least 5 seats. Where do you think they'll pick up seats?
The other far-left aren't going to gain seats and will struggle to hold onto what they have. Also Clare Daly and Mick Wallace aren't running so there are another 2 "far left" seats gone.
I seriously think you've got this all wrong based on one probably outlier of an opinion poll that was taken during the RIC controversy.

Enda Kenny offered FF 50% of the cabinet seats to go into government last time around , ff should have gone in to power with FG,
I like lots of People voted first FG and then FF
Voter first choice was a government FG and FF,
If FG and FF are not willing to come together after the next election , there will be a shift of support to SF ,

FG and FF are dancing to Mary Lou McDonald beat so far in this general election,
She will hammer FF and FG for the rest of this election ,
I don't think support will shift to her during this election but FF and FG will be damaged for the next one, SF as usual are playing a long game,

Last edited:
Enda Kenny offered FF 50% of the cabinet seats to go into government last time around , ff should have gone in to power with FG,
I like lots of People voted first FG and then FF
Voter first choice was a government FG and FF,
If FG and FF are not willing to come together after the next election , there will be a shift of support to SF ,

Not sure, I would have thought the most likely scenario for SF to surge is if FF & FG were together in a coalition government, then SF can position themselves as the de facto opposition.
Instead, even if FF or FG are tarnished by spell in government, the other maintains a sense of distance and can still at election time present themselves as the opposition. Which is what FF are doing now.

Not sure, I would have thought the most likely scenario for SF to surge is if FF & FG were together in a coalition government, then SF can position themselves as the de facto opposition.
Instead, even if FF or FG are tarnished by spell in government, the other maintains a sense of distance and can still at election time present themselves as the opposition. Which is what FF are doing now.
As I said may work for FF in this Election, long term not so,

If I vote for FG Or FF which 50% who come out to vote do to be honest I will finish up with my vote split one in power and one in opposition ,
so the 50% becomes 25% of a government with the rest made up of a rat bag of TDs holding possibly over 50% on cabinet positions,

Even in good times the 50% FG/FF supporters will not be happy with a government like this, a very small change to SF support will bring them higher than the 50% who vote for FG/FF Mary Lou could finish up in the top position sooner than you think,

FF and FG will be attacking each other at General election time lowering both core support base ,The last time I checked it was down from the last election,
I suppose what I am saying Is a vote for FG/FF at best is only half a vote when it comes to power as most quarter of a vote,

If FF support goes up a little and FG fall lower than SF by election day I would still expect FG to have away more TDs Than SF but give it another election they could be higher than FG/FF going into next election ,

Last edited:
How so ?

My perception of MLDs performance so far is Paddy Holohan and not being allowed into a debate. What have I missed ;) ?
Mary Lou is keeping her eye on the big picture,
You are looking at the little Details Paddy Holohan and such like,

SF are keeping Mary Lou away from the TV cameras and have been for quite some time.
It's a pity Labour are so inept and badly led. They should be occupying the left with FG slightly right of centre and FF slightly left of it as was always the case before.

Purple
You are correct, The problem for FG/FF and Labour is the people Mary Lou is sending out could be mistaken for FG/FF or labour members,

Just seen a clip of Leo down in Fermoy Mart launching FG policies on agriculture , the minister for Agriculture was being hassled by farmers,

Leo made a bee line to shake hands with what looked like a FG supporter you could see supporter did not seam happy to be seen on clip with Leo,
Strange times for FG,

That self important nutter FOT in the IT today argues that we are too risk averse, always putting FG or FF in charge. Yes he conflates portfolio theory with politics and argues that we need to take risks to earn rewards - I kid you not.

He doesn't spell out the risks but I presume he has in mind that we should give SF/IRA a go, heck throw the dice. Let's ponder the risks they might take.

Poster boy for the New SF, Fierce Doherty is a big fan of burning the bondholders. Old SF/West Belfast GHQ want to burn the Supreme Court. And I presume they would all be a fan of Wolfie's panacea of burning the "excess assets" of our 17 billionaires (as well as a super tax on all those folk earning more than a hundred grand).

Are those the sort of risks that FOT has in mind? Hard to see the rewards.

Last edited:
That self important nutter FOT in the IT today argues that we are too risk averse, always putting FG or FF in charge. Yes he mixes portfolio theory with politics and argues that we need to take risks to earn rewards - I kid you not.

He doesn't spell out the risks but I presume he has in mind that we should give SF/IRA a go, heck throw the dice. Let's ponder the risks they might take.

Poster boy for the New SF, Fierce Doherty is a big fan of burning the bondholders. Old SF/West Belfast GHQ want to burn the Supreme Court. And I presume they would all be a fan of Wolfie's panacea of burning the "excess assets" of our 17 billionaires (as well as a super tax on all those folk earning more than a hundred grand).

Are those the sort of risks that FOT has in mind? Hard to see the rewards.
Must be a major shocked to posters who follow the IT nutters and swallow most of what the write,
Pierce the TD seams to be well liked up in Dublin by the FF ers FG ers and others TDs :)
I think it was the Labour Party who shared power many times in Ireland who failed to put on Pierce green jersey,;)

Last edited:
Back