Ripped Off By Solicitor

I am offended to be honest with what was stated by brea claiming that what I have stated is utter rubbish. I am fully aware of the rates having registered many apartments. On top of this I myself owned an apartment and registered it. Believe me it is €85. As i stated in my first post, if it is NEW apartment from the plans then it is a first registration as you are carving the apartment from the original title. If you look on the website or indeed if you want to ring the Land Registry, be my guest, they will tell you that first registrations (new build apartment) are €85 all in. Houses or 2nd hand apartments are as per the value of the property etc as you stated. New build apartments are different, the orginal question stated that it was a new apartment from the plans.

I would suggest brea that before you insult other postees that you ensure that you are 100% accurate in your statements before referring to accurate statements as utter rubbish.

I've had many relations tell me they paid their solicitor huge fees, then having looked at the bill you discover they are including stamp duty/capital gains tax, land registry fees, searches etc. The problem is that ordinary people think when told the fee is 1400 that that is the end of the matter. In my opinion they should be told in writing our fee is X (don't add on VAT and postage/stationary later as it only annoys people) but in addition you will have to pay Y for the land register and Z for searches etc. Personally I think it should be a legal requirement that all clients get this in writing and that they sign it after writing 'I have read the above bill and agree to it'.

I've had many relations tell me they paid their solicitor huge fees, then having looked at the bill you discover they are including stamp duty/capital gains tax, land registry fees, searches etc. The problem is that ordinary people think when told the fee is 1400 that that is the end of the matter. In my opinion they should be told in writing our fee is X (don't add on VAT and postage/stationary later as it only annoys people) but in addition you will have to pay Y for the land register and Z for searches etc. Personally I think it should be a legal requirement that all clients get this in writing and that they sign it after writing 'I have read the above bill and agree to it'.

As a war weary practising solicitor of many years, can I tell you that in my experience very few of my purchasing clients have the remotest interest in anything save (a) getting into the house and (b) whether to go for wooden floorboards.

They will not even read their own letter of loan offer let alone my tedious explanation of the process involved in purchasing/mortgaging the property, their necessary input into organising their own end of things and finally the ultimate cost to them. Mostly they hear the price they want to hear even when it is in writing. And finally, while I would love my clients to confirm to me in writing that they have read my letters, understand them and agree to what I'm saying and my fees, its a bit unlikely as most of them are too busy choosing the colour scheme for their new house - which they regard as far more important than the tedious bit of getting involved in the legalities.

Yes there are lots of crap solicitors and yes there are lots of great clients but the above would be my own view.

mf

It might help if the OP said whether it was a new or second hand apartment.

Been there MF, a couple of years ago a client claimed they hadn't received my estimate of fees, which i sent out in advance and which curiously enough was the only letter that didn't actually get to them....

"I have just closed on the purchase of my first property, a one bedroom apartment in Dublin. I bought the property off the plans in March 2005 and when doing so I signed up for a solicitor who was recommended to me"

OP stated was bought off the plans so new apartment.

Where's the OP?
Have they asked for a detailed invoice?
It sounds like they heard what they wanted to hear and basically screwed up.
Until they get back with more details that is...

Juke --- Superb Reply. Hate people who come on the attack in situations like this. We are all trying to help one another, not score points against each other.

To all who are siding with the legal profession and the OP. He was quoted an all in figure of €1400.00 This is were the problem. The OP didn't ask about Land Registry fees, mortgage registry fees or anything else. An all in fee is what it is, plus VAT. That is what the charge and the Invoice from the Solicitor should be. If a mistake has been made so what. It is not the fault of the OP. Let's hope he finds te original e-mail.

"It is not the fault of the OP."

OP has not been back for a while. All you/any of us know is what OP originally posted which may or may not have been the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Given that it is seldom the case on this or any Board that the whole truth is presented by an OP ( as very often elicited by questioning the veracity of initial posts), you might consider listening to the more balanced views being posted?

mf

ps - remind me not to feed the trolls.

The OP asked and was told what the fee would be, not what the full costs would be. The solicitor advised what the fee would be and then added costs plus VAT (as is standard practice). If the OP doesn't want to pay other costs, which are levied by the government and it’s agents, why should the solicitor carry the can?
Without the OP clarifying things further this thread is just speculation.

"As a war weary practising solicitor of many years, can I tell you that in my experience very few of my purchasing clients have the remotest interest in anything save (a) getting into the house and (b) whether to go for wooden floorboards."

Very funny post MF1, but on a serious note it's a sorry state of affairs when people are making such a serious purchase that they are unconcerned about the most basic aspects of the costs of purchase. It seems people have more money then sense if they have enough to buy floorboards and pick colourschemes but not enough time to add up all the costs. I still think we would have a lot less posts on here about the 'amazingly high bill charged by my solicitor' when confronted with it signed by themselves.

I still think we would have a lot less posts on here about the 'amazingly high bill charged by my solicitor' when confronted with it signed by themselves.

Sorry, I don't understand... How could anyone here confront another poster with a document signed by themselves?

Sorry, I don't understand... How could anyone here confront another poster with a document signed by themselves?

Bronte's statement makes sense in the overall stream of consciousness of the thread! If solicitors put the (approx) fee plus VAT plus outlays in writing at the start of the transaction and clients signed an acknowledgment of receipt of the draft bill.........

mf

Back