Rip off Car Dealers

c.c

Having checked out a certain Car Dealers website I was interested in one of the cars on offer..price quoted on web 14500.I went to the garage asked how much the car was valued at and I was told 18000euro ! I was to trade in my old car which he valued at 4000euro.I went home checked out price on web again to be sure and the price of car for sale was still 14500(which it was),I rang the garage asked as to why the price had increased so much, he began to babble on trying to make an excuse and went on to say he was nt that interested in taking a trade in but if I were to purchase I would now be paying 11000euro with my own car(which was the correct figure).If I was stupid enough he would have made a lovely profit in the beginning!Just wondering can garages really hike up the prices based on what they see been traded by such a huge amount or is it illegal? Has anybody experienced this with car dealers?

From my experience recently with them some will literally lie through their teeth to achieve their goals! I had a mad scene like something out of Fawty Towers when I decided not to purchase one of the cars they thought I was interested in - salesman fighting back tears, voice cracking, called his mates over to back him up - I went away wondering what sort of people they are at all!!! Any out there care to defend them?

My wife recently changed her car, when she first went shopping the new car was 20K - 5 for her own, a week later I went in alone with her old car, after a little haggling I was quoted 18.5 -6K. My father in law returned the following day with both of us, in a busy show room on a saturday morning started questioning their pricing practice rather loudly. We got the car for 17K less 6 for hers. Car Dealers are sharks looking to make easy money on the meek. The moral of the story, haggle hard in a show room in front of many potential customers

Thanks for replying. Its crazy about the way they up the prices,thankfully I now know what to look out for in the future!Thanks for the showroom tip Mike!
C.C

c.c said:
...I would now be paying 11000euro with my own car(which was the correct figure).
Ehm, if he valued your car at €4,000, wouldn't that make €10,500 the correct figure..? ;)

Sorry my mistake original price 14950 euro......ur on the ball Dr.Moriarty ! Thanks ! c.c;)

Back