Rio Brazil

L

lynchft

Can any one recommend a hotel in Rio?
What about some things that are unmissable?

heya,

we did the hang gliding in rio and it was amazing.. beautiful view and a great experience...
also really enjoyed Lapa... was good fun for late night drinking and full of atmosphere

I stayed in the Windsor Martinique in Copacabana. Hotel was fine & reasonable & close to the beach. I also stayed in the Rio International which is a beautiful hotel but not cheap. Rooms all seem to have balconies & there's a wonderful view from the roof. Breakfast there is the best I've seen in a long time.

I had a bad experience on my first day in Rio while walking on the beachfront. A guy came up on a bike & as quick as lightening grabbed a chain from my neck. I had been warned not to wear jewelery & luckily had left the chain I normally wear - which is much more valuable - at home. It made me nervous for the rest of my time in Rio though. Just be careful with your belongings.

I think Ipanema is a better looking area than Copacabana. Probably more expensive though.

Must sees include Christ the Redeemer statue & a trip up the Sugarloaf. We visited Niteroy which is a ferry ride across the bay. You get lovely views of Rio from there & there are little beaches & coves which are quite pleasant.

Stick to the Ipanema/Leblon neighborhood when looking for a hotel as it is more pleasant than Copacabana in my opinion. Ipanema has most of the good restaurants/bars/shops where you will want to hang out. My impression of Copa is that parts of it are busy commercial districts and other parts are a bit sleazy in places.

I've stayed in the Sofitel which is located where Copa and Ipanema beaches intersect. It's a nice hotel and they do a champion breakfast on the terrace with expansive views of the city and the beach.

gang wars on the beaches are missable,supposedly terrible violence in the area,be safe.

Guys - cheers for the heads up.
Putting the final touches to my plan for SA.
Heading off in September for 3 weeks!

Back