Ring Valuation

sally2007

Hi,

Myself and my husband bought a sapphire and diamond ring on honeymoon in Bangkok - we paid €2,400 for it and got the certificate with it. It was from a very reputable gem factory, have checked their website out - it wasn't just a dodgy looking guy on the side of the street!!

Brought it into Crystal Jewellers in Blanchardstown SC to be valued and there was a young guy behind the counter, he looked at it for about 1 minute, asked me where I'd bought it and then said it was worth about €750 - I was really mad with him and just walked straight out!!

I'm hoping he didn't know what he was talking about as I didn't think you could tell the quality of stones with the naked eye!!
Does anyone know where I could get a reliable valuation done??

I bought a ring in to be valued in the same jewellers a few years ago. Was also given a very low valuation. Took it to Fields and it was valued more in line with what I paid.

all jewellery is very over priced no matter where you buy once you purchase and walk out of the shop your asset has plummeted, just as a new car would when driven from the showroom

all jewellery is very over priced no matter where you buy once you purchase and walk out of the shop your asset has plummeted, just as a new car would when driven from the showroom

Totally disagree ... Gems could raise and fall in value exactly in the same way shares do on the stock market.
I am not talking for instance about a 0.25carat I1 H type of diamond that are all over the place, but 1+carat VVS1 E or F.
Can't not compare jewellery and cars!!!

Coming back to the original question:
ESL Jewellery (Emma Stuart Liberty Jewellery) are makers and designers of all jewellery.
Phone: +353 (0) 1 679 1603
Fax: +353 (0) 1 679 1697
Email: [email protected]

They do valuation, flat fee, while most (Weirs, Appleby, etc..) charges % of valuation.

Ainya,

Where do you get that assumption from ? Jewellry and cars are 2 different assets. I bought a Saphire ring (white gold) encrusted with diamonds abroad. When I got it valued here it was worth 4 times what I paid for it. Needless to say I was very happy (as was the wife). Also many years I bought a chain in the Middle East 3 gold rope chain. It cost me $200. Got it valued about 6 years ago and the value was €2,400. Reminds me I must get it revalued considering the price of gold has more than doubled in that time. A $200 purchase for an asset probably worth in the region of €4000-5000. Not bad. Bought a car 3 years ago for €22k . Now worth about €14-15K if I'm lucky. Go figure

ranger

Where do you get that assumption from ? Jewellry and cars are 2 different assets. I bought a Saphire ring (white gold) encrusted with diamonds abroad. When I got it valued here it was worth 4 times what I paid for it. Needless to say I was very happy (as was the wife). Also many years I bought a chain in the Middle East 3 gold rope chain. It cost me $200. Got it valued about 6 years ago and the value was €2,400. Reminds me I must get it revalued considering the price of gold has more than doubled in that time. A $200 purchase for an asset probably worth in the region of €4000-5000. Not bad. Bought a car 3 years ago for €22k . Now worth about €14-15K if I'm lucky.

The interesting point is that you are comparing a replacement valuation with a sale valuation, I suspect if you asked the jeweller how much they would be prepared to pay you for your ring the amount would be much, much lower (if you could find a jeweller prepared to buy it at all). Gold has intrinsic value, but the market for diamonds is largely artificial.

True. The ring valuation is what it would cost you to buy a replacement. You won't realise the value of it by selling it.

So Sally2007, what did Fields value it at?

I 'm also interested in getting a valuation done in Fields. I bought the wife a solitare ring in USA a few years back and now only noticed a speck of black graphite or carbon (both same) in the ring. so I'm anxious to see if I was done or not on the ring. Do fields charge a % or flat fee. I also want to value a diamond necklace ., Both by the way were certified IGI diamonds if that means anything.

I bought the wife a solitare ring in USA a few years back and now only noticed a speck of black graphite or carbon (both same) in the ring

There are flaws in the stone. The ************************* diamond are very rare and cost a lot. Most diamonds (99.99999%) do have flaws.
If you can see the flaws in your wife'solitaire with naked eye (assuming you clean the ring before inspection !!) , you certainly bought an "I" clarity diamond... Nothing wrong, just not very good quality. Fine is you did not pay much for it, otherwise...

Other things to consider for value are of course weight (can be estimated - to get accurate measurements, need to be removed from the settings), color (easy to see if you have references) and cut (more difficult to see).

For estimated color, you need to train your eye...

Simple exercice: go to a shop and ask then to show you 3 or 4 different stones in different colors say F, G, H, I (not set in ring)

Take a piece of white paper (standard A4 for instance) and fold it in half to make a V shape.. Align the stones inside the V and will see straight away the difference in color (the white V is simply to facilite reflexion of light).

bacchus ,
What comeback do I have if I bought the ring to an appraiser and they say the diamond is a H colour and "I" in clarity whereas the IGI certificate says otherwise. would I take the issue up with the store ,which was Macy's by the way or the certifying body. Bear in mind I purchased this about 4 years ago, could I complain fairly next time I return to new york. ?

Fields will not do a valuation on jewellery that wasn't bought in one of their own stores.
Went into ESL in Powerscourt

Fields will not do a valuation on jewellery that wasn't bought in one of their own stores.
Went into ESL in Powerscourt and they were very helpful, charged a flat fee of €70 for the valuation and valued it at considerably more that what we paid for it!!

Thrilled!!

bacchus ,
What comeback do I have if I bought the ring to an appraiser and they say the diamond is a H colour and "I" in clarity whereas the IGI certificate says otherwise. would I take the issue up with the store ,which was Macy's by the way or the certifying body. Bear in mind I purchased this about 4 years ago, could I complain fairly next time I return to new york. ?

What they said does not matter as the only guaranteed way of knowning the spec of the diamonds is to buy them in seal bags from reputable dealers, and get then set afterwards. Though, it is all based on trust as you have no guarantee that the diamond will not be "swapped" for an other during the process. This is why it is important to be able to "read" diamonds, so that you can read the "map of the flaws" before and after setting, ensuring the one you bought is the one mounted on the ring.
Though, i have seen diamonds with small flaws beign mounted so well that they appear ************************* as flaws (if well located) can be hidden being the gold and very very hard to see unless you know they exist...

Very OTT for many, but you could be dealing with lots of money...a 1 Carat (about 6.5mm diameter) F VVS2 is about €15k, a 2 C (about 8.2 mm) is about €40k, Dublin city center prices - Appleby !!! You get them for half of that in (almost) any other countries.. Never really understood why;)

Bacchus,
The reason why I bought these diamonds, was because they came with a IGI certificate to say that what I was buying was what I was getting. I think one also pays a bit more for this reassurance. Surely that
if the diamond doesn't match the specs on the certification card that I'm actually buying something different that is being advertisied. If so who can you trust?

The reason why I bought these diamonds, was because they came with a IGI certificate to say that what I was buying was what I was getting. I think one also pays a bit more for this reassurance. Surely that
if the diamond doesn't match the specs on the certification card that I'm actually buying something different that is being advertisied. If so who can you trust?

The trust element i was bringing in was really in the context of the sealed box being opened to mount the stone, not that the stone in the sealed box did not match the cert.

IGI cert is as recognised as HRD cert, so i would doubt that you got something else than what's on the card.
What does it say on the card about inclusions?

Went into ESL in Powerscourt and they were very helpful, charged a flat fee of €70 for the valuation and valued it at considerably more that what we paid for it!!

Thrilled!!

Why are you thrilled? What difference does it make, since you will never be able to sell it for anything like the price you bought it? Basically, you just wasted €70.

Went into ESL in Powerscourt and they were very helpful, charged a flat fee of €70 for the valuation and valued it at considerably more that what we paid for it!! Thrilled!!

Sounds like you just paid the guy €70 to tell you what you wanted to hear.

Why are you thrilled? What difference does it make, since you will never be able to sell it for anything like the price you bought it? Basically, you just wasted €70.

Presumeably she isnt planning on selling a ring she bought on her honeymoon.
Presumeably she is thrilled, since the ring was valued at a lot more than she paid for it, so if she had bought it in Ireland instead of Bangkok, she would have had to spend a lot more than the 2400 she did spend, for the exact same specification, size and quality of ring!
Therefore, for a ring of that spec and quality, she has made a big saving.
I can see why she is thrilled.

I can see why she's thrilled too!

Sally, we used ESL to value my engagement ring a few months ago that we'd bought in Antwerp and they also valued it at more than my husband paid for it, so we were very happy. I'm not sure whether he would have been able to afford the same ring if we'd bought it here.

Having said that, the valuation cost has obviously gone up as we paid €50 to have it valued!

M

Back