rights of partner to house held in sole name of other partner

busymam

I'm looking for advice for a friend.

Her partner is going through a separation from his wife and lives with my friend. The house is in the sole name of my friend even though her partner lives with her. She pays the mortgage. Her partner contributes to the other general household bills.

She has heard that her partner will have a right to a certain percentage of her house after one year. I don't think this is true.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks

"If you are in a non-marital relationship and you die without a will, your partner has no automatic right to any share of the estate no matter how long you have been together. Many people are not aware of this, so it is very important to know your rights in this situation."

For more information, see:-

The situation can change in the event of a breakup however:-

"However, if your relationship breaks down and your name is not on the title deeds to the house, you may still be able to show that you have some ownership rights in relation to the house. These rights are based on the fact that you made a contribution to the purchase price of the house with the intention of gaining a share in the ownership of the house."
Ref:-

I'd recommend a chat with a Solicitor if your friend is concerned. Most Citizens Information Centres provide a free legal advice service and more often than not by appointment only, so ring in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks Pat

I was thinking along the same lines myself. The guy doesn't have a solicitor yet. I think his first step should be to get a good family law solicitor or at least get some free legal advice from FLAC.

Can anybody recommend one in the North Dublin / Meath area?

Thanks

I had a similar situation. I owne the house. There was no mortgage on it. I paid all the repair bills and refurbishment costs. However, when my ex partner and I separated, he tried to claim a share of my house. I asked him to leave sooner than intended as a Barrister advised me that he could get a licence to live there over time. It was after we split up that he tried to make a claim on the house. People think that there is no problem when you liive together but are not married, but I found out otherwise. Luckily, in the end I did not have to give him anything, but it just shows what can happen. I would sugest to your friend that she gets excellent legal advice on this.

Back