rights of co-habiting couples

micamaca

Hi there,

without going into too many specifics, if someone is living with a man for over ten years in her house and has children with him, what rights does he have to a share in her house or her assets, if something happened to her... what rights would his wife have on the house or assets of this person ?? Am worried on behalf of children of unmarried girl.

He is not legally separated from his wife so in the eyes of the law they are still married.

Where would one start to look for information about this, I need to find out who to talk to. I have looked at Oasis.gov.ie which is reassuring me a little.

would appreciate some advice or knowledge from someone who knows about these things as am worried about this.

thanks mica

Re: rights of co-habitating couples

Might be worth checking for useful info. Your local might be able to help (in confidence) too.

Re: rights of co-habitating couples

Thanks Clubman, was just updating my original thread after reading Oasis.gov... hadn't thought of the other one yet. It's a mess but Oasis makes me think all might not be lost. There doesn't seem to be any rights for unmarried couples, which I would have thought is awful before but in this situation it actually reassures me...

See if anybody can help you on the "Separation & Divorce" Board on www.rollercoaster.ie
AFAIK the woman in question would have very little rights apart from the maintenance of their children.
HTH

I can't answer that definitively ClubMan, there are plenty of people on the boards more expert than I.
I think that the children are entitled to claim on his estate, but the claim of children born out of wedlock, is not as strong as children of a marriage. That is to say if the man in question has children from a previous marriage they would have a stronger claim than the children he had with the woman he is now living with.
Seriously, better to stick a question like this over on rollercoaster!

I had a friend in a similar position and the advice she received was that all her estate would be left to her children as all was in her name. While the partner could attempt to prove that he had some claim on the house if for example he financed extensions, improvements etc..unless he was actually named in a will he would have no claim. Should he be named however, his wife (in the absence of divorce) and children (regardless of dicorce) would be entitled to a share of his share! Best person to seek out is a family law solicitor to get the best advice.

Okay thanks guys, I have never heard of rollercoaster but am looking it up now so thanks for that tip.

And I think I will have to go talk to someone about this, it's the only way to find out for sure. I may start with the citizen's info centre as suggested by Clubman and then go on from there. Problem is person involved doesn't think there is a problem! But thanks again folks...

Sometimes people can't see the woods for the trees... mores the pity. I'm more concerned about the kids as it happens...her life is her business.

Yes and I can see what you're getting at...but the kids are relatives and I care about them and want the best for them, as does she. Anyway, I can't go into details for obvious reasons... but there is more to this. But I was just asking for advice. thank you.

Back