Right to Reside/occupation

Discussion in 'Askaboutlaw' started by Jamieuk, 5 Aug 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamieuk

    Jamieuk New Member

    Last edited: 5 Aug 2018
    hi all,

    I am new here and i have a question.
    I am a 32 year old disabled man (visually impaired, dyspraxia) and i live in my parents home with them.
    I work part-time as i don’t think i can work full-time and my parents have paid off the mortgage.
    So would i have any ground for a right to reside/occupation clause for myself? I would be able to pay the bills with my job and done some research.

    Edit: i am also from the UK. Does the law differ from country to country?
    Last edited: 5 Aug 2018
  2. Bronte

    Bronte Frequent Poster

    Are you residing in the UK?

    You seem to be afraid of losing your home.

    Your parents could make it a condition of their will that you have the right to reside until your death, without giving you ownership. Called a life interest. That way you have a home when they die, and your siblings could inherit a share of the house when you die.
  3. Brendan Burgess

    Brendan Burgess Founder

    This is an Irish website. The law and practice in the UK would be very different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.