Right of Way - Insurance

RugbyBoy

I am looking to split my residential property in half and sell one half.
I will own the shared driveway and footpath and will need to give the purchaser right of way to use both.

Anybody got advice on how I can get insured to cover any potential liability with the right of way

Thanks
RB

I must say I've never heard of this.
Hope you're leaving your half of the property to a family member. I see issues down the line when someone tries to sell.

I must say I've never heard of this.
Hope you're leaving your half of the property to a family member. I see issues down the line when someone tries to sell.
Splitting folios as suggested is very, very common, particularly in the older suburban neighbourhoods in Dublin where larger plots were more common. Any solicitor competent in property matters will ensure there are no issues with title, boundaries, etc., down the line.

Splitting folios as suggested is very, very common, particularly in the older suburban neighbourhoods in Dublin where larger plots were more common. Any solicitor competent in property matters will ensure there are no issues with title, boundaries, etc., down the line.
It's the insurance bit I never heard of Leo

Public liability... pretty standard in household policies. Won't cause any issues when coming to sell.
The OP probably has it already, although it would be important in due course to disclose any change in access arrangements etc to the insurer.

Reactions: Leo
Somebody falls and sues me for not keeping it safe

Insurance won't help if you don't keep it safe, in the event of a claim they will send out an assessor who's job is to minimise the pay out.

Regarding getting cover just use a broker and tell them the driveway is yours but others have a right of way -- by using a broker they will know how to pitch it to insurers whereas if you go direct with a bargain basement insurance company they will fight all the way in the event of a claim.

Insurance won't help if you don't keep it safe, in the event of a claim they will send out an assessor who's job is to minimise the pay out.
Insurance is there for when you are at fault !

If you are liable insurance pays out. There wouldn't be any point in having insurance otherwise.

Back