Rhodes restaurant Dublin 7 - small servings big plates slow service

Come on now. Food served too hot is a sign of incompetence in the kitchen. The food in Keatings is indeed not very good, in my experience.

Food served too hot is a sign of incompetence in the kitchen.

Extopia, I'm not denying that fact. I'm just commenting on the amount of drama the OP has managed to wring out of the fact that her fish pie was too hot.

I think the OP should sue ... ;)

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about Rhode's over-priced noshery. And here we are talking about Keating's fish pie. It's just chaos. :p

Re: Rhodes D7

Let's get back to reality here. The OP claimed he/she had an "appalling" meal, because the food was too hot. He/she was so flummoxed by hot food ("struggling"), a waiter felt the need to approach him/her and explain a course of action.

Fair enough then, in reality, the OP said nothing about food being too hot.

and what does that mean ?
Restaurant standards decline the further you move north of the Liffey ?
Restaurants south of the Liffey cannot be anything other than good by virtue of geography ?

The last good restaurant meal I had was in Malahide. That's about 9 miles north of the Liffey. If I liked Cruzzos, what must a restaurant 9 miles south of the Liffey be like ? Gastronomic nirvana ?

:rolleyes:

Well have ate in Cruzzos and yes was impressed here but more impressed by Siam Thiam and Silks has gone downhill

101 talbot and Chapter one good food. Also have ventured into Dublin Chinatown(aka Parnell street) and good food there also. Also have ate in an Italian place near the Millennium bridge which was ok

Location is nothing. Yes the critics did touch on this when Rhodes opened
but hey what do they know

66 tonight but there is another thread on that already

and what does that mean ?

..., what must a restaurant 9 miles south of the Liffey be like ? Gastronomic nirvana ?

:rolleyes:

No, definitely no nirvana over here either.

Had a nice lunch in Rhodes D7 today. After I said I was a food critic, I was given a tour of the restaurant! Big place, good service, good food but not much 'wow' factor. Maybe a lot of business from the Four Courts?

I liked the food but found the service very bad. They forgot the vegetables and didnt bring them when we asked. Found it very cramped also and did not like the decor.

Maybe a lot of business from the Four Courts?

Is this the impression you got on your visit? Lots of wigs / blue and grey suits in evidence (apologies if my knowledge of legal fashion is outdated).

Or are you suggesting either that:

(a) It's the northside so only slumming professionals can afford it. :)
(b) It's the norhtside so it's full of skangers. :) :)

btw nice touch with the "Food Critic" claim. I thought genuine food critics gave their eye teeth to remain anonymous?

Is this the impression you got on your visit? Lots of wigs / blue and grey suits in evidence (apologies if my knowledge of legal fashion is outdated).

Or are you suggesting either that:

(a) It's the northside so only slumming professionals can afford it. :)
(b) It's the norhtside so it's full of skangers. :) :)

btw nice touch with the "Food Critic" claim. I thought genuine food critics gave their eye teeth to remain anonymous?

It's such a big place, I wondered if they were catering for more people rather than just shoppers or people who work near by. It's not exactly cosy and intimate!

Suggestion (c) As, hopefully, a 'genuine food lover', I think Dublin is lacking good restaurants in general, compared to other European cities. I patiently wait for Tom Doorly's restaurant reviews each week before I descend on the next restaurant. in Rhodes D7, I also told the East European waitress that as I and my dining companion were 'good looking' we would want a table that we could see and be seen, but as with my 'food critic' line, I don't think she didn't understood me, or of course, could be that she just ignored me...

Aah well off to try the Winding Stair restaurant this week:)

I was in RhodesD7 on Friday night for the first and last time.

I can't complain about the service - that was very good.

But the food was just ok. Nothing wrong with it (except that they overcooked the steak, I asked for medium but got medium-well and at that it was more on the well side) but it does not warrant the price tag.

This restaurant does not fit into the motto 'try anything once'. It's definitely not worth even the once.

Back