Rewiring Cost

This idea that people need to get 3 quotes for every job amuses me no end.

If you have or know of an electrician that you trust, hold onto them, because when you need them, they'll be there for you. There's a lot more to trust than reliability, ready availability for example.

agree with you there but there is such a shortage of electricians and tradesmen right now , many people might not have a connection with a reliable competent electrician. i as yet have not found an electrician who will call out to me when they say they will , i know a guy who is good at what he does but would happily leave you waiting two months to do something and expect you to remind him every week about the job in question , he has that much work , he can turn down half of it .

getting a few quotes gives you an idea what way things are out there ,if one of the quotes is absurdly cheap , you know to stay away .

A bit like the consultants in the HSE and trying to get something done. At least you'll get it done by a tradesman within a reasonable time, although costs might be similar. ;)

. . . and the electrician community have managed to keep the Poles out so competition is minimal.

Please elaborate.
Since Polish people are EU citizens they have the right to work - and set up in business - here.
Their qualifications are accepted for most other trades in Ireland.
So why not as house electricians ?

I am also surprised about the comment on the Polish electricians, surely their qualifications would be on a par as their Irish counterparts, fantastic tradesmen and they turn up when they say they will too!

As far as I know, electricians from anywhere can work here as long as they are qualified and registered and regularly inspected by one of the registration bodies.

Please elaborate.
Since Polish people are EU citizens they have the right to work - and set up in business - here.
Their qualifications are accepted for most other trades in Ireland.
So why not as house electricians ?

You have to be RECI registered, no regulatory restrictions when it comes to carpenters or stone masons, electrician labour market more sheltered, I don't mean solicitor or doctor sheltered but it keeps costs higher

On paper but the absence of foreign electricians is noticable

Ive seen UK electricians working on commercial jobs here, doing some very dodgy looking work. I seen one full building wired fully with domestic twin-and-earth. The last I heard of it the ESB were refusing to connect the meter until it was replaced. Obviously the UK standards are lower than ours. I'm no expert, but Irish standards seem to be very high. It would be impossible to allow any electrician from any country to work away here without some sort of standards to adhere to.

A Spark/Reci will get his workers to do a lot of the manual work under his supervision, etc, but only himself/herself with the necessary recognised certs can sign off on the job. I have to say they're a very bright bunch of people and although some mightn't be great fun, or whatever, if they're qualified they are good.

Back