Revolut showing the wrong merchant ?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I treated myself to a cake in the Butler's Pantry in Sandymount.

I noticed that Revolut said I had spent it in Butler's Chocolates.

There is no connection between the two companies.

I checked my phone and it's happened about 4 times in the last month. The shop assistant told me today that other users of Revolut had said the same thing.

Very odd.

I presume that the shops have systems in place so that they would know if they were not getting the benefit of the payment.

Brendan

I treated myself to a cake in the Butler's Pantry in Sandymount.

I noticed that Revolut said I had spent it in Butler's Chocolates.

There is no connection between the two companies.

I checked my phone and it's happened about 4 times in the last month. The shop assistant told me today that other users of Revolut had said the same thing.

Very odd.

I presume that the shops have systems in place so that they would know if they were not getting the benefit of the payment.

Brendan

Somebody somewhere is using VLOOKUP to populate the name field on your statements ("C" is ahead of "P"). ;)

I'm assuming the credit is based on the merchant ID so should be ok.

Very sloppy.

If one is intending to apply for a mortgage or other credit facilities, I can imagine how some might be unhappy with for example Paddy Power rather than Paddy Pastries appearing on their statements.

Works both ways though I suppose, Paddy Pastries might be better for many.

This happens to me too.

I paid for groceries in M&S on Grafton Street and the transaction was labelled as M&S Dundrum and the location on the map inside Revolut was Dundrum.

When Revolut have geo-location data, how can they make these sloppy mistakes? There does not seem to be an easy way to flag this to them as well.

Anytime I shop in Supervalu Sundrive, it appears as Nallys Supervalu Celbridge on my revolut.

Last edited:
I paid for groceries in M&S on Grafton Street and the transaction was labelled as M&S Dundrum

Well if I ever need an alias to escape my misdeeds, I will be able to show that I was shopping in M&S Cork on many occasions.

I had just assumed it was their billing office and not a Revolut mistake.

Brendan

The following appears on my Revolut statement "Marks Spencer Saca"

I was wondering where Saca was only to find that it's a

Semi-Attended Cardholder Activated Terminal

Brendan

Reminds me of the time in London when I paid for a meal and Revolut and it came up as an NHS sexual health clinic!! What is more interesting (to me anyway!) is when I scroll back to look at the transaction it is now correct.

What is more interesting (to me anyway!) is when I scroll back to look at the transaction it is now correct.
Yes. Their initial software must be based on voice somewhere along the line but they correct it when the trader asks for their money I guess.

Back