Revolut or similar for a sports club

Westgolf

Hi all,

I've recently taken over as treasurer of our local rugby club. We need to modernise tge options for people to pay us for various things such as gear, membership etc. Revolut don't seem to have a plan for any non profit type organisations go I'm just wondering if others have any suggestions or experiences to share.

Brendan/Mods: please feel free to move to most appropriate section.

I'm a member of a classic car club. During the pandemic we introduced the option to pay membership fees by PayPal (using friends and family).

Over half the membership fees are now paid by PayPal, the remainder by cash or cheque (which were the only options prior to 2020).

Over half the membership fees are now paid by PayPal, the remainder by cash or cheque (which were the only options prior to 2020).
There is a weird aversion to electronic funds transfer using IBAN in Ireland. Cheaper than PayPal and far less hassle for the treasurer than cash or cheque.

Revolut don't seem to have a plan for any non profit type organisations
Would Revolut for business not be an option? The main appeal of Revolut is that everyone has it now. Makes payment via QR code really easy.

There is a weird aversion to electronic funds transfer using IBAN in Ireland. Cheaper than PayPal and far less hassle for the treasurer than cash or cheque.

Would Revolut for business not be an option? The main appeal of Revolut is that everyone has it now. Makes payment via QR code really easy.
Revolut look for business registration details such as cro number etc, which we don't have?

We use ClubZap. You can pay subs and other things on it, so things can be paid through the app or on the club website.

You can also pay subs through Sportlomo which is the IRFU site used for registering players. I know other clubs swear by it as players have to pay their subs to be registered with the IRFU. And if they're not registered, they can't play!! I don't find Sportlomo a great site though, so we haven't looked at moving over to it yet.

We also have a SumUp machine that can be used for fundraising events and links directly to the clubs bank account.

With our GAA Club we have Foireann which has been developed by the GAA and you register and pay your membership. Its really good for reports etc but wouldn't be available to a Rugby club I'm sure. Members aren't that crazy about it for communicating though (for underage group messages) so we're looking at ClubZap for that. Steven - with ClubZap do you know off the top of your head what the fees are. I know there's a monthly fee but not sure of the charges taken for each transaction.

Also with your Sumup machine can you use it to create a link to a fundraising event - say the local lotto? Or selling tickets to a fundraising dinner? Or is just suitable for use when you're at an event in person - like selling tickets at a gate?

Sum Up, paypal or direct transfer.

Direct transfer is the cheapest, but you'll find people forget references & it can be a pain to reconcile.

Sumup is what you need. You can have an online shop, you can have a card machine, you can get a visa payment card and you can take direct payment and make direct payments. I use it for 2 clubs I'm involved with and its perfect. Only cost is 1.69% of card payments received.

Sumup is what you need. You can have an online shop, you can have a card machine, you can get a visa payment card and you can take direct payment and make direct payments. I use it for 2 clubs I'm involved with and its perfect. Only cost is 1.69% of card payments received.
My local club use Revolut....the person involved doesnt use the card for anything else.

My local club use Revolut....the person involved doesnt use the card for anything else.
The issue of that is it is his own personal account and all you need is one disgruntled member to cause problems. Sumup have a "club/Society" option that is registered to the club and the treasurer provides personal details along with club constitution and list of elected club officers. If the treasurer changes, the details can be updated with new treasurer details.

The issue of that is it is his own personal account and all you need is one disgruntled member to cause problems.
Huge risk of embezzlement or the member getting incapacitated. No comeback for the club as someone can just say “that Revolut account was in my name”.

Club accounts should always have at least four eyes involved and use of a personal Revolut account for ongoing club business is unwise.

With our GAA Club we have Foireann which has been developed by the GAA and you register and pay your membership. Its really good for reports etc but wouldn't be available to a Rugby club I'm sure. Members aren't that crazy about it for communicating though (for underage group messages) so we're looking at ClubZap for that. Steven - with ClubZap do you know off the top of your head what the fees are. I know there's a monthly fee but not sure of the charges taken for each transaction.

Also with your Sumup machine can you use it to create a link to a fundraising event - say the local lotto? Or selling tickets to a fundraising dinner? Or is just suitable for use when you're at an event in person - like selling tickets at a gate?
I don't know what the fees are, I am the Mini Youth Secretary at our club. I am not involved in the finance. They take a commission from the subs paid. Same with anything else that we run. You have the option of adding their charge on top of the fee. Running a lotto is a feature on the app as well as paying subs and other fundraisers. It's pretty easy to add a new event from the desktop portal.

I find ClubZap great for getting availability for matches. Put up the event in the group and the parents say if their son/ daughter is available and the 23 is picked from that.

We just use Sumup as a contactless payment system. Any fundraisers that are bought online are through ClubZap (we add their fee onto these things).

The issue of that is it is his own personal account and all you need is one disgruntled member to cause problems.
It is basic governance and nothing to do with a disgruntled member. You can't mix club money with personal money. There is no visibility and no audit trail.

Hi all

Just by way of update, @peemac provided a step by step guide to setting up a SumUp for a club situation, along with some great advice.
As others have pointed out there are too many risks with using a personal revolut account. Also I want to be able to pass it over to the next treasurer at some stage without having too many difficulties.
Thank you all for your contributions, AAM proves its worth once more !

Hi @peemac , @Westgolf

I'm also a newly appointed treasurer (of a GAA club) who wants to set us up on SumUp.

Can you please share the steps which worked for you with me? I've heard of other clubs having issues identifying etc. I can see an option for a "Member Organisation", wondering if this is what I should apply under.

Back