Revolut - Mysterious Profile Photo

MrEarl

Hello,

Has anyone else had an unknown persons photo appear on their personal profile, where they previously didn't have a photo?

I'm not sure if this is some stupid idea that Revolut have come up with, to promote the ability to upload your own photo, if they've a tech problem and have accidently mirrored someone else's pic onto my account, or if my account has been accessed by an unknown party, who uploaded the image to make a point.

Revolut's customer service is shockingly bad - its saying that if I want a live agent, I've to wait over an hour. :(

Hi Mr Earl

I just checked.
My photo does not appear.
You are in my contacts list, and there is no photo for you when I go to make a payment to you on Revolut.

A few people in my Revolut contacts do have photos, but not many.

Brendan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211201-133433_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211201-133433_Gallery.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 161
Just read some of the comments on that twitter link, looks like there was more than me concerned.

A timely reminder that we've very limited protection, when something goes wrong at Revolut.

Just read some of the comments on that twitter link, looks like there was more than me concerned.

A timely reminder that we've very limited protection, when something goes wrong at Revolut.
In fairness, that seems like a fairly prompt and professional response from them. What more would you expect them to do?

How would you feel if my face popped up on your online banking homepage?
I'd prefer to see the wrong face than to lose access to my account for days (or was it weeks) as happened with Ulster Bank some years back. These things happen with IT systems. Provided that it IS a straightforward bug and not a breach of privacy in any way, it doesn't seem like that big a deal, and it seems like they responded promptly and professionally.

Yup. About £4.6 billion of it according to Revolut's Annual Report for the year ending 2020.
Well with 20m users, that’s only 230 quid a head to be fair.

I’m surprised that they’ve only 20m users, but that seems to be the figure cited online.

It feels like everyone in Ireland has it for example.

In fairness, that seems like a fairly prompt and professional response from them. What more would you expect them to do?
An onscreen message when you log on, would be preferable.

You mentioned a Bank, well what do you think the reaction would have been, had this happened with the Bank of Ireland app (for example), rather than Revolut?

Personally, I think it would have been:

* reported on RTE News, on the radio, and in the papers,

* the Central Bank would be seeking assurances regarding the safety of peoples money,

* the Data Protection Commissioner would want conformation that peoples data was still safe,

....and a brief message on Twitter wouldn't be an acceptable apology, with a minimum of 3-5 days of negative publicity for BoI one of the consequences (perhaps a lot longer, of we use your reference of the Ulster Bank outage, as a comparison).

An onscreen message when you log on, would be preferable.

You mentioned a Bank, well what do you think the reaction would have been, had this happened with the Bank of Ireland app (for example), rather than Revolut?

* the Central Bank would be seeking assurances regarding the safety of peoples money,

* the Data Protection Commissioner would want conformation that peoples data was still safe,

....and a brief message on Twitter wouldn't be an acceptable apology, with a minimum of 3-5 days of negative publicity for BoI one of the consequences (perhaps a lot longer, of we use your reference of the Ulster Bank outage, as a comparison).
I dunno, the Revolut issues on Friday night for the Late Late toy show were very well covered in Irish media. I don't think they're getting any kind of free pass here. Anyone who is concerned about a Data Protection issue can report that directly to the DPC.

I think it's getting the benefit of being the "darling" of the public, tbh.

It's a tech based, quassi disruptor in Financial Services, with people delighted to have something that's cheap, user friendly, and not a Bank, to help them manage and transfer their money.

However, let's not forget, because of its current status, its no where near as safe a place to keep our money, as an Irish regulated Bank - so if something goes wrong, we're all at a financial loss - there's no Deposit Guarantee Scheme etc to reimburse us. Thats why, we should keep a very close eye on Revolut, and be more concerned, when something goes wrong at Revolut.

And the guy whose image was used would be getting massive compo. for defamation accusing him of being Mr Earl.

A very hit and miss App, 50:50 if a top up will work. Only use it as a backup.

The trading App should be fun to watch if and when it gets EU authorised

Revolut's customer service is shockingly bad - its saying that if I want a live agent, I've to wait over an hour. :(

I recently made a mistake and ordered 2 replacement debit cards instead of one. The first card was free and the second one was 5 euro + 7 euro postage. I used the live chat and was told there was a 1 hour wait time. After I hour the agent replied and swiftly canceled the second debit card and gave a full refund of the charges. In my opinion Revolut has a very good customer service.

Back