Revoked credit card coming back to haunt me

jadonkey

18 months ago I closed my AIB credit card. I made a lump payment of €1500 and closed it. It wasn't in arrears.

Within a few days my credit card account disappeared from the AIB app.

I had been told by AIB that stamp duty might be applied on the card after it's closed but I assumed with the account no longer appearing in my app that it was sorted.

After requesting my credit report I find out that the card is listed as "Revoked" rather than Cancelled. I contact AIB and they tell me that the €30 stamp duty had been applied and that late fees were applied on it when I didn't pay. So the card is officially listed as "Revoked." I paid the €75 outstanding immediately and the person I spoke to said that they'd sent a complaint to their credit reporting team and that I should hear back soon. She also mentioned that this happens all the time and that I shouldn't worry about it coming back in my favor...but I am worried.

You might ask why I didn't respond to the letters that they sent? I had stopped using the AIB account when I closed the credit card and had moved over to KBC. In the meantime I had moved house.

I'm just wondering how much of a problem this will be for us?

It's the only blip on our credit record. Our combined income is €156k (split fairly equally), no kids and we're borrowing €210k and it's just making me sick to my stomach that we might be declined a mortgage over €75.

I'm hoping beyond hope that AIB will accept the complaint but if not, does this just mean that we'll be declined a mortgage straight up?

Thanks for your help. I'm sure you're sick to death of answering questions like this.

it's just making me sick to my stomach that we might be declined a mortgage over €75.
Have you been actually declined yet?

She also mentioned that this happens all the time and that I shouldn't worry about it coming back in my favor...but I am worried.
Relax and wait until you hear back. You are doing yourself no good worrying at this stage.

Have you been actually declined yet?

Relax and wait until you hear back. You are doing yourself no good worrying at this stage.

Thanks for the reply.

No we haven't been declined yet. The broker just terrified me when he brought it up.

Appreciate that. I'm trying to be calm. It's just that feeling that a mistake on my side could potentially ruin it for both of us that scares the life out of me.

We're not borrowing a huge amount so if worse comes to worst we probably have other options.

I just feel like a thick for not paying better attention to it.

No need to worry....absolute worst case scenario is you take the 210k mortgage out in your partners name solely.

Credit reports are a tool that banks use but at a simple glance at yours together with the credit card statements it would be evident that it was an oversight. You will be fine.

Back