Revise down house offer post survey?

Easter

I am currently sale agreed on a house that I knew I was slightly overpaying for pre survey. I had calculated in a few fixes that I could see were needed.

The survey has thrown up a few extra issues. One of which is the neighbours downstairs extension - it overhangs the boundary wall by about half a foot. It is a small house, so there is a possibility this will impact an extension. My question is if this issue would impact the value of the house? Might we have difficulty selling in the future? I was thinking of revising down my offer. It is small 3 bed semi. Offer €340k. Not much other interest in the house and previous offers have fallen through for the seller. There was one underbidder. Would anyone have any idea how much an overhanging gutter my detract from value of a house?

Is it just a piece of overhanging gutter or is it attached to a soffit board with facia, etc? A piece of gutter can just be cut off but if it's part of a building then that's a whole other issue. If you're having all those issues with buying the place what good is it getting a few quid off the price? The same problem will come up down the road if you decide to sell. Has PP been an issue in this extension or was it not needed? What quality of workmanship was used? Too many niggly problems if it was me.

Thanks for your reply. It's not just a piece of overhanging gutter, it is attached to soffit board with facia. Surveyors report says "roof gutter of the extension is likely to be on the line of the boundary and may very slightly over sail the likely boundary line". It's a bit vague, but I can see myself that it overhangs a couple of inches.

I'm guessing planning permission wasn't required, it is a few metres of an extension on side of adjoining house. It would impact extending our kitchen on one side.

Because housing stock is low in our desired area, and we have to buy now after looking for nearly 2 years, it is likely we will go ahead with the purchase. There isn't a whole lot of choice out there.

Does anyone have any insight in to how this issue impacts on property value? Would a 20k reduction in our offer be realistic? Has
anyone extended their house with an overhanging gutter in neighbouring property? What was the solution - leave a gap between wall of extension and boundary wall? Any insight much appreciated.

I'm guessing planning permission wasn't required, it is a few metres of an extension on side of adjoining house. It would impact extending our kitchen on one side.
You can check whether planning was sought online, each local authority have an online search tool. Unless it was a converted garage, extensions to the side usually require planning.

Does anyone have any insight in to how this issue impacts on property value?
There is no single answer to this. For some people with no plans for an extension of their own, they won't care in the least and so the value implication will be zero. For others who might want to build right to the boundary then this will impinge on those plans to some degree, but to what degree and what value they put on it, only they can decide.

Ultimately, the vendor will just take the best offer they get. If there is an under-bidder here, it's likely their bid was close to yours and so the vendor may chose to accept their offer if you drop yours by 20k. The other bidder may be aware of the gutter location and be OK with it, it's something I always check on properties I was looking at.

Gutters can't simply be removed. Another solution would have to be put in place to deal with the roof run off. Otherwise you risk significant damage to both structures. There are solutions including parapet walls and shared drainage.

Back