Reviewing my employer's Maternity Leave Policy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diziet - I did bring it all up. On the first instance I said to my boss, "eh I don't think its right to ask me that sort of question". but his answer was ah it was off the record, between friends... he knew he shouldnt of asked it.
I also have said several times to many of them in my job, that just because you have a child doesnt mean your career should go out with window. I mean I went to Uni like you did, worked my ass off but now I want a family too..

I suppose these people are not worth bothering with but it's really hard to get a happy medium between home life and work life when you are a Mother. I am constantly feeling guilty for nothing being with my Son all day and then I feel guilty when I am home nursing him and work is falling behind... I suppose thats life, chin up and all that.................

Only checking this post again now, looks like a bit of a debate has been happening.

I think it is wise what people are saying about opting for the 16 weeks unpaid leave so that I can make a much clearer decision about whether returning to work or not. Personally I think this is unlikely as I want to stay at home for the first few years if I am lucky enough to have a child of course, but as ppl say you never know. Also, In terms of part time work, that is not an option in my profession.

In terms of deception ....I don't understand how anyone could think that. The terms are clear in the maternity policy about timelines for leaving work so once I adhere to this I dont see how this would be deceptive. I am reading the policy and seeing when is the earliest I could theoretically leave work. These are my rights. I have been here over 5 years and am entitled to them- the company have set these parameters. If I fall pregnant in this job, I dont think I should have to hand my notice in just because Im almost certain I wont return.

They clearly state that if I plan not to return to work then to give them as much notice as possible. So if I opt for the 16 weeks unpaid leave and decide to stay at home early on in this, I could give them the notice then. I assume some women still do this and dont all return to work. I'm sorry if this comes across as deceitful, suppose I am just thinking things out and honestly believing that returning to work after a baby is not going to happen right away so was putting it out there.

This is a hypothetical situation. I just wanted to more clearly understand the reprecussion of a certain action in this job. I mightnt even be in this job when it happens...whether through my choice or theirs :eek:

Topping up a salary is a perk as far as I'm concerned and not an entitlement like the maternity leave itself.

We had a sisuation of someone taking the full mat leave (paid and unpaid), outstanding holidays and bk holidays. She then applied for a career break which was granted. She applied to return from career break early and this too was granted.

When she returned to work she handed in her next mat leave application and went off 5 or 6 weeks later.

Legally and according to our policies she did nothing wrong but I don't want her working in my section.

Becky, I suppose it is a perk really but why should I not be able to claim it just because I'm 99% sure I wont return. I have been here 5 years, been a loyal and hardworking employee. Due to recently getting married my husband and I have begun considering starting a family and therefore I read the policy as its now relevant to me, and am trying to understand how it applies.

I do appreciate the other point of view though and will take it onboard. As I said before this is very hypothetical at this stage. Renting, looking to buy at moment so nowhere near ready yet!

LM26, in my opinion (and it's only my opinion) your proposed course of action would be legal but unethical.

I suppose these people are not worth bothering with but it's really hard to get a happy medium between home life and work life when you are a Mother. I am constantly feeling guilty for nothing being with my Son all day and then I feel guilty when I am home nursing him and work is falling behind... I suppose thats life, chin up and all that.................

Why is is that difficult? I know life gets a lot busier, but really, work is work and home is home. Why on earth would you feel guilty about work in your home time? Do they pay you for 24 hours a day? Equally, you have chosen to work, and presumably your son gets good care in your absence. Forget the guilt and get on with enjoying your life and your family!

BTW, I have kids, so I am not making the above up. There is no point creating problems with misplaced guilt, there are enough real ones to be getting on with :)

Purple, what do you think the solution is then? If I told them outright at the beginning that I had little intention of returning would that be ok in your opinion?

Purple, what do you think the solution is then? If I told them outright at the beginning that I had little intention of returning would that be ok in your opinion?

Yes, talk to them and see what they say.

diziet - I am only a new mother and I am trying to juggle life. So its not as easy as you make out. You say you have kids, did it not take you a while to adjust?
Maybe in your job, they are more child friendly etc. when I have to leave a meeting because I get a call to collect my baby I get looks from everyone there... Its a case of "here we go again". Like I am making it up.. I see this with SO MANY women in his company and outside of here too. Can I say its mostly coming from Men or from Women who dont have kids.. The men do have kids therefore I really dont understand why they make you feel like this..
You are right I shouldnt feel guilty but I do sometimes, its not that easy to shut off sometiimes.

When the time comes, thats what I'll do. It is the most honest approach, and I am a very honest person even if original post didnt sound like it :)

Am closing this thread now, thanks for all the replies.

Edit: reopening thread as another reply came in after I posted the above. Will close at a later time.

BTW Ditiet.. I really dont feel like I have a choice NOT to work at the moment either (financial reasons)

Bondgirl, I've replied to your post in a new thread in LOS (you're nearly at 50 posts).
I'm not attacking your post but I think your post asks some interesting but off topic questions.

From what I can see you are asking if you can take full paid mat leave and then resign and the answer is yes.

If it was me I'd just take the SW - hope I don't fall off my pedestal.

I think other posters saying that you won't know until the time comes is worth noting.

There is a girl just back from mat leave here (8 months) and is looking for a career break. She never thought she's like to a a stay at home mum.

In summary, can I leave at 4 mths pregnant and still get 26 paid weeks leave?
To answer this question directly (and leaving out all the other arguments!), no you can't leave at 4 months. Social Welfare payments only begin at the earliest after 24 weeks and your employer would only top this up with the difference to make it up to your full salary from then on.

Also you also don't pay tax on the SW so end up with a little bit more again!

From what I can see you are asking if you can take full paid mat leave and then resign and the answer is yes.

If it was me I'd just take the SW - hope I don't fall off my pedestal.

You can't just take SW, it's paid on the basis that you are working when you take maternity leave, if you resign then you are not working.

Agree with Terry's girl, if its not your intention of returning to work, then you are a leaver and will get a P45.

Maternity leave is paid when you are on leave, so I dont think SW would pay you.

My company I work for does not pay maternity leave because of the amount of abuse the policy got. People can only blame themselves.

PURPLE - I CANT REPLY IN THE LOS SECTION? Maybe I have not posted enough but I really want to post to this as I have a Lot to say to those who have replied. Can you fix this for me?

PURPLE - I CANT REPLY IN THE LOS SECTION? Maybe I have not posted enough but I really want to post to this as I have a Lot to say to those who have replied. Can you fix this for me?
Just post 4 more replies in the proper part of AAM, they don’t have to be particularly good or informative (take it from me ;)) and you’re in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back