Reviewing my employer's Maternity Leave Policy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

LM26

Hi, just wondering what your opinions are of the following.

I have worked in a company for 5 years. In the near future I want to start trying for a baby and have been reviewing their maternity package. Basically, I dont really like my job (but very grateful to have it) and if I was still here when I fell pregnant then I would want to leave early on and not return to work. Regardless of job, I want to be a stay at home mother for first few years anyway and see how it goes.

These are the stipulations of the policy:-

26 weeks entitlement
min 2 weeks before the birth
min 4 weeks after the end of the expected week of confinement
remaining 20 weeks can be taken before or after the birth as you require
5 + years = full monthly pay minus social welfare payments

From the above, is it correct to assume I can leave as early as 4 months pregnant?
And if I do, they will obviously wonder why and my main query is that if I tell them outright at beginning that I do not intend to come back to work is there any way that could effect the 26 weeks paid leave? They have a one liner in the policy about not returning to work and it says to give as much notice as possible.

In summary, can I leave at 4 mths pregnant and still get 26 paid weeks leave?

Probably a silly query as I cant imagine them getting out of it but wouldn't mind a second opinion.

Thanks for any replies.

Re: Maternity Leave

I think you should do some more research. Firstly does your company allow for unpaid maternity leave on top of paid leave. Many do and if you find that for financial or other reasons that being a stay at home mum doesn't work for you, at least you'd have the option of returning to your job

For similer reasons, is a career break an option, again many employers allow that (my wife is on one at the minute)

In terms of when to take your leave, bear in mind you are going to have some high costs after the baby is born, nappies aren't cheap. Therefore from a financial perspective I'd recommend staying at work as long as possibles.

Are there any conditions in the contract that suggest you must work for a specified period following Mat. leave. It would be very unusual to have paid Mat. leave and then walk away without ever returning to work. I would check that out or what is the custom and practise in your work place.

As this something you are thinking about for the future it seems very early to make definite decisions about not returning to work. Perhaps there may be a part-time option by then and the job may not seem so awful on a part-time basis when you have so many other things to focus on at home

As another poster said, you may be able to afford some unpaid leave. You are entitled to 26wks leave +16wks unpaid and also 14 weeks parental leave(at employers discretion). On top of that add all your holidays and bank holidays and see what it comes to.

At the end of all that, you could then make a decision having had at least a year at home to see how you feel? Just a suggestion, best of luck :)

You may want to return to work with a different employer at a future date. If you leave at the end of your maternity leave it may affect your reference. Even if it does not if your future prospective employer will most likely want to call your last employer for an off the record conversation about you. This may cause you problems, even if you don’t hear about it.
In short if I was your prospective employer and I found out that you had quit after getting 26 weeks paid maternity leave I would definitely not give you a job.

You may want to return to work with a different employer at a future date. If you leave at the end of your maternity leave it may affect your reference. Even if it does not if your future prospective employer will most likely want to call your last employer for an off the record conversation about you. This may cause you problems, even if you don’t hear about it.
In short if I was your prospective employer and I found out that you had quit after getting 26 weeks paid maternity leave I would definitely not give you a job.

Not sure at what point the clock stops ticking though? I mean, if a woman returns to work and then finds for whatever reason that she cannot cope and decides to leave, is she then precluded from taking another job? Even when her circumstances change? Even is she is a good fit for the next job? That would be treading on very thin ice in employment law terms.

To the OP, I really think that you need to wait and see how you feel once baby is born and a few months have passed. As this is your first child, you have absolutely no idea how you will feel afterwards - different people react very differently. I found that I was saner and a better person altogether when I worked, other women find they like the full time mammy thing better and are happier. And a lot get surprised about best laid plans not working out and having to change them.

Not sure at what point the clock stops ticking though? I mean, if a woman returns to work and then finds for whatever reason that she cannot cope and decides to leave, is she then precluded from taking another job? Even when her circumstances change? Even if she is a good fit for the next job?
That's different to cynically taking advantage of an employer.

That would be treading on very thin ice in employment law terms.
I agree, that's why the damage would be done during a phone call. It may not be fair but it still might happen.

Wow - that's a heck of a statement.
That's not very fair (not to mention illegally discriminatory) . There are many women who fully intended to go back to work after their mat leave, or at least to keep that option open to them, but then for any number of reasons they may have changed their mind e.g. financial situation changed, couldn't get appropriate childcare, simply fell in love with their child and couldn't leave them, maybe the child had special needs and needed their parent more than other kids, discovered that with cost of childcare that it didn't make financial sense to work etc etc.

I think it would be seriously shortsighted (and unethical and illegal) of any prospective manager to rule out serious candidates for a job simply for availing of an employee benefit that they were entitled to.

To the OP - yes, you are reading it right, you are entitled to take the leave and the company top up in whichever manner it is written in the company handbook.

There are many women who fully intended to go back to work after their mat leave, or at least to keep that option open to them, but then for any number of reasons they may have changed their mind e.g. financial situation changed, couldn't get appropriate childcare, simply fell in love with their child and couldn't leave them, maybe the child had special needs and needed their parent more than other kids, discovered that with cost of childcare that it didn't make financial sense to work etc etc.

I agree, its the deliberate deception that's the problem.

I agree, its the deliberate deception that's the problem.
Okay - but that's not clear from your post. What you said was that "In short if I was your prospective employer and I found out that you had quit after getting 26 weeks paid maternity leave I would definitely not give you a job. "

If you were taking up references on a good candidate, how would you know whether she had planned all that time ago not to return to her employer after mat leave, or whether she had changed her mind during mat leave?? Absolutely impossible for you, or any other prospective employer to know. Even if the old employer stated this (and it would still be wrong of them to do so, and wrong for it to be held against the candidate), how could you know for 100%?

Okay - but that's not clear from your post. What you said was that "In short if I was your prospective employer and I found out that you had quit after getting 26 weeks paid maternity leave I would definitely not give you a job. "

If you were taking up references on a good candidate, how would you know whether she had planned all that time ago not to return to her employer after mat leave, or whether she had changed her mind during mat leave?? Absolutely impossible for you, or any other prospective employer to know. Even if the old employer stated this (and it would still be wrong of them to do so, and wrong for it to be held against the candidate), how could you know for 100%?

Which is why you wouldn't get the job "because there were other more qualified and superior candidates". Dublin is a small place (and the rest of Ireland is even smaller). One "off the record" telephone call to your former employer and your name is mud if you pull a stunt like this (and rightly so in my view).

Which is why you wouldn't get the job "because there were other more qualified and superior candidates". Dublin is a small place (and the rest of Ireland is even smaller). One "off the record" telephone call to your former employer and your name is mud if you pull a stunt like this (and rightly so in my view).

But, (and maybe I'm not stating it clearly), how would you, or Purple, or any other prospective employer know whether the candidate you are reference checking was a "genuine" candidate who really meant to go back to work after mat leave and then changed her mind or had to change it due to circumstances beyond her control? or whether she was one of the (as you guys would have it) devious women who "pulled a stunt" and decided in advance that she wasn't returning to work?

As there is NO WAY that any prospective employer can know for sure which of the two categories above the lady falls into, what you guys are effectively saying is that you just would not employ any woman who went on maternity leave and did not come back even though they had received salary top-up.

That's quite astonishing an attitude to hold in this day and age.

Some companies have a clause in their mat leave providing for claw back of salary top in this situation. Thankfully, there are enlightened companies out there (my own, and the last two I worked for) who do not have such claw back clauses. They put the salary top-up in place as an attractive employee benefit, put there to attract and retain high-calibre candidates. They also recognise that 10 months is a long time, and it's very VERY hard for a woman to know for 100% sure what she will be doing at the end of mat leave. They may be 90% sure that they know what will happen, but sometimes life throws a curve ball and you have to deal with , and that may involve not being able to go back to work after mat leave.

But, (and maybe I'm not stating it clearly), how would you, or Purple, or any other prospective employer know whether the candidate you are reference checking was a "genuine" candidate who really meant to go back to work after mat leave and then changed her mind or had to change it due to circumstances beyond her control? or whether she was one of the (as you guys would have it) devious women who "pulled a stunt" and decided in advance that she wasn't returning to work?

As there is NO WAY that any prospective employer can know for sure which of the two categories above the lady falls into, what you guys are effectively saying is that you just would not employ any woman who went on maternity leave and did not come back even though they had received salary top-up.

Some companies have a clause in their mat leave providing for claw back of salary top in this situation. Thankfully, there are enlightened companies out there (my own, and the last two I worked for) who do not have such claw back clauses. They put the salary top-up in place as an attractive employee benefit, put there to attract and retain high-calibre candidates. They also recognise that 10 months is a long time, and it's very VERY hard for a woman to know for 100% sure what she will be doing at the end of mat leave. They may be 90% sure that they know what will happen, but sometimes life throws a curve ball and you have to deal with , and that may involve not being able to go back to work after mat leave.

The prospective employer would call the last employer and ask their manager what the lady in question was like. If the last employer was a small business and struggled to pay top up salary to an employer who then jumped ship they'd probably be p'd off enough to say so.

BTW, my company tops-up maternity pay. I agree that it’s the right thing to do but people should appreciate that for many small businesses it’s a struggle to do so. Taking advantage of that, in effect taking advantage of someone else’s generosity, is not cool.

I agree that it’s the right thing to do but people should appreciate that for many small businesses it’s a struggle to do so. Taking advantage of that, in effect taking advantage of someone else’s generosity, is not cool.

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you that if a small company pays it, then they may struggle to do so these days. Especially these days.
And, personally, if I were leaving my job, I would do so in advance.

But, I was just debating the issue of discriminating against women who did not return to work. I know that a lot of reference checks are done on a "nod and a wink" basis (I'm a HR manager) as well as more formally , but even if the previous employer was ****ed off that the woman didn't come back after they apid salary top up, we would have to take that with a pinch of salt. Even if the employer was cross, they cannot know for sure what the lady's intentions were prior to going on mat leave.

That's all I'm saying....

Some companies have a clause in their mat leave providing for claw back of salary top in this situation. Thankfully, there are enlightened companies out there (my own, and the last two I worked for) who do not have such claw back clauses.

I don't agree. Given the present climate, businesses (especially smaller businesses) cannot afford to be taken for a ride. The clawback makes absolute sense. And a quick call to the employee's former boss works wonders if you want to flush out the spoofers and the chancers. An astute potential employer would give any woman who had behaved in the manner alluded to in this thread an extremely wide berth (dressed up with a "sorry, we got a better candidate" whitewash of course).

And if you work in HR you obviously know that people are routinely "discriminated against" but it's dressed up as something else. Pregnant women who take their employers for a ride, perpetually "sick" employees, and people who leave because of some type of "conflict" are usually given a wide berth (especially nowadays).

I don't agree. Given the present climate, businesses (especially smaller businesses) cannot afford to be taken for a ride. The clawback makes absolute sense. And a quick call to the employee's former boss works wonders if you want to flush out the spoofers and the chancers. An astute potential employer would give any woman who had behaved in the manner alluded to in this thread an extremely wide berth (dressed up with a "sorry, we got a better candidate" whitewash of course).

Just goes back to my point that the previous employer himself/herself may not know what the lady's intentions were. They might be ****ed off that she dind't come back, but unless she said straight out to someone beforehand that she had no intention of coming back (which would be pretty stupid of her to do if that was her intention) , then how can the employer know for 100% if she is a spoofer/chancer or not?

Spoofers and chancers are normally weeded out during ref checks , with questions about work history, attitude etc - (I know all about it from my work) - but to just rule out a good candidate for a job because she got salary top up and then didn't or couldn't return to work, then that's just wrong and mean.
You won't agree obviously , but it is.

And if you work in HR you obviously know that people are routinely "discriminated against" but it's dressed up as something else. Pregnant women who take their employers for a ride, perpetually "sick" employees, and people who leave because of some type of "conflict" are usually given a wide berth (especially nowadays).

And, just to come back on your last point - no I absolutely don't know that people are routinely discriminated against. Certainly not where I work, and I wouldn't and never have discriminated against anyone. We would regularly not hire someone because of previous work history or consistently poor attendance records etc, but that is perfectly legit to do so. That is not in anyway discriminatory (9 grounds).

Just reading this discussion, very interesting debate and well I want to add something. I work for a big company and I am here years. I had my first baby last yr and since I have returned to work I am being treated completely different. I am getting asked left right and centre, "when am I having noumber two", "are you finished with your education now you have a child", "are you pregnant yet". These questions are all from men in my dept. Can I add, I am a professional and I work with mostly men. My own boss asked me a few weeks before I came back to work was I pregnant. I was horrified by this question. I also have tried my best not to take any leave or sick days since I got back but this is unavoidable. My child has been sick so many times in the last 4 months from catching illnesses from other kids. My partner and I have shared the load of days off, but still I get evil looks and sly comments thrown my way. I have to say I must of been very niave, but now I am treated completely different because now I am a Mother.......
Its not a nice feeling people, not nice at all.

Only checking this post again now, looks like a bit of a debate has been happening.

I think it is wise what people are saying about opting for the 16 weeks unpaid leave so that I can make a much clearer decision about whether returning to work or not. Personally I think this is unlikely as I want to stay at home for the first few years if I am lucky enough to have a child of course, but as ppl say you never know. Also, In terms of part time work, that is not an option in my profession.

In terms of deception ....I don't understand how anyone could think that. The terms are clear in the maternity policy about timelines for leaving work so once I adhere to this I dont see how this would be deceptive. I am reading the policy and seeing when is the earliest I could theoretically leave work. These are my rights. I have been here over 5 years and am entitled to them- the company have set these parameters. If I fall pregnant in this job, I dont think I should have to hand my notice in just because Im almost certain I wont return.

They clearly state that if I plan not to return to work then to give them as much notice as possible. So if I opt for the 16 weeks unpaid leave and decide to stay at home early on in this, I could give them the notice then. I assume some women still do this and dont all return to work. I'm sorry if this comes across as deceitful, suppose I am just thinking things out and honestly believing that returning to work after a baby is not going to happen right away so was putting it out there.

This is a hypothetical situation. I just wanted to more clearly understand the reprecussion of a certain action in this job. I mightnt even be in this job when it happens...whether through my choice or theirs :eek:

Bondgirl, I am sorry to hear about your treatment since returning to work and your babys ill health.

Just reading this discussion, very interesting debate and well I want to add something. I work for a big company and I am here years. I had my first baby last yr and since I have returned to work I am being treated completely different. I am getting asked left right and centre, "when am I having noumber two", "are you finished with your education now you have a child", "are you pregnant yet". These questions are all from men in my dept. Can I add, I am a professional and I work with mostly men. My own boss asked me a few weeks before I came back to work was I pregnant. I was horrified by this question. I also have tried my best not to take any leave or sick days since I got back but this is unavoidable. My child has been sick so many times in the last 4 months from catching illnesses from other kids. My partner and I have shared the load of days off, but still I get evil looks and sly comments thrown my way. I have to say I must of been very niave, but now I am treated completely different because now I am a Mother.......
Its not a nice feeling people, not nice at all.

Not nice at all. But - you are a professional, so deal with it professionally. Prepare a response when someone makes a comment and respond, making it clear it is unacceptable. It will soon stop if you make it clear you don't find the comments professional.

Your male colleagues probably have no idea their behaviour is not acceptable; you have to spell it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back