Revenue win Appeal re NPPR charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Local authorities were given no power to vary or review the charge and the 2009 Act does not fall into the category of local taxation raised by a local authority for tax purposes, he ruled."

By this logic, the Property Tax is deductible as Local Authorities do have the power to vary the charge

While I'm surprised at the decision (on balance, I expected the High Court decision to be upheld), it does strike me that advisers that branded the Revenue position as "disgusting" and "shameful" must be feeling pretty foolish this morning.

I don't think there is any reality to interpreting this decision in support of the contention that LPT is deductible as a rate levied by a local authority.

One of the finest legal minds I ever met once said to me “I have lost many stupid cases in front of stupid judges”...
For what it's worth, this was a unanimous decision of three very senior judges.

I don't think anybody with any knowledge of the individuals involved would describe any member of our Court of Appeal as "stupid".

I think as this is settled, there is no need to discuss it further and take up my time sorting out personalised rows.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back