Revenue - Remote Working Relief (€3.20 / additional expenses / some sneaky bits)

WizardDr

This is one of the Revenue Guides where I wonder at God's ability to create sadists.

Maybe I am having an off day. This guide goes through the whole scenario essentially the €3.20 allowance which an employer does not have to pay; and other expenses you might incur for which you may get a deduction. Also what a remote worker is and isn't - e.g. somebody doing work in the evening or at weekend might not be a remote worker. You cant claim the €3.20 if you have a T&S claim for that day - not kidding. Does an 'arrangement' need to be in writing?

Here it is for perusal.

Maybe I am missing something but to me it is relatively straight forward. In effect, you need something in writing or your employer to have a policy and you need to be working a substantative part of the day at home, not logging in in the evening to clear your inbox because you want to. Also, I really struggle to understand how anyone could claim Travel and be working from home at the same time. I get there may be the odd day when someone does both but I doubt most employees would be too concerned about the odd €3.20 here and there since mileage rates probably more then compensate if they were travelling

You could be on a job in the morning and working from home for the afternoon. Maybe your fine with tedious bits like this whereas I see them as off the wall.

You could be on a job in the morning and working from home for the afternoon. Maybe your fine with tedious bits like this whereas I see them as off the wall.

Yep, worrying over that claim for €1.60 would definitely keep me awake all night! I could buy half an Americano [Frank and Honest] in Supervalu with that kind of money. (Although drinking coffee in the afternoon tends to keep me awake at night too!)

Back