Revenue from Internet Hits

evoke

does any one know where you can find information about how much on average would you get for 20,000 hits on you website a month. I remember some one posting that they had 20,000 hits a month and was gettting €360 a month for that. thought that was very low for the amount of people visitinig the site. thought there might be a website with figures from people who go and get their own advertising and how much they get.

thanks for any replies

for got to say that was google advertising that he was getting the €360 euro a month from

Hi,

When you say hits, are you referring to Page Impresssions Per Month (PIPM)?

Also, how many unique visitors are you attracting per month?

the distinction of hits/unique is very important - as is the nature of the website (The Times or Economist can probably charge more per click/impression than a britney spears fansite as the quality of visitors is higher)

So the quality of people hitting the site justifies the amount a company pays to advertise on a site. You do not get money for people accidently opening up your site. Is that what you are saying???

Also, how many unique visitors are you attracting per month?

i only have 100 a week say, but no advertising. i was just wondering if i put more work into it how muh could i earn from it???

thanks for replies

Well think of it this way, should the cost per 1,000 readers for the same size ad in "The Financial Times" be the same price as the cost in "The Sun", given the fact that times readers typically have more spending power relative to readers of the Sun and the financial times gives the advertisers a very specfic demographic market perfect for advertisers of financial products?

My main site gets about 100 unique visitors a day and the income from google ad's more than offsets the cost of running the site. However i've another site that is on a competely different topic and ad's on it typically are worth twice those on my main site (e.g. a click = 40c rather than 20c average on my main site). The reason for this is that the later site is about a niche topic that would be of interest to a high spending demographic... only problem with this is that that site scarcely attracts 10 visitors a day! (10 visitors day... not bad for a half days work a year ago though!)

can earn revenue from people just visting your site, ie banners etc even if they dont click on them. do people have to click on the links to make money.

evoke,

Just to follow on from the points made by CGorman.

For advertising purposes, what is important is

- Page Impressions Per Month. This is the number of page impressions (as opposed to hits) for your website per month. Most hosting packages should give you an option to view this info and should also filter out traffic from GoogleBots/spiders etc..

- Number of Unique Users. Obviously, if you only have a few users generating a large number of Page Impressions, this will be of no use to potential advertisers. What is important is the extent of the end audience.

As CGorman says also, rates that will be paid depend on your audience and how they will fit with advertisers (e.g. myhome.ie is a good fit for mortgage providers etc..)

You can also go the AdSense route - I have no experience of this mysef so can't comment on how much you are likely to make..

dockingtrade - you can get paid for banner impressions but I think that most advertisers will meausre clickthroughs to see how effective campaigns are..

CPM (cost per thousand page views) is the standard metric. If you have a website that is targetted at a group that is in demand then you will get a higher CPM rate than a general site.

On Adsense, I'd guess the CPM rate is about $1 on average. Most banner networks even less. That's on a "general content" site.

I use Adsense for two sports related sites. The CPM over since I started using adsense has been $5 (€4). I also run an education website, but CPM is double that figure.

Back