Revenue Dispute - Next Steps?

JudgeDread

Hi,

My business has had an arrears plan with Revenue for the past 13 months. Basically last year we were not paid for some work and had to take legal action against a client. As a result cashflow was destroyed and we fell 8 months behind on VAT and 6 months on P30s, a total of 127k.

Currently we have 54k remaining of this, but are two months behind in our other payments. We are having a great year though and our situation is improving. We should be all up to date within the next few months and will be able to complete the arrears plan. It looks like we will invoice 250k over the next two months.

Despite attempts to explain this to revenue, they have cancelled our plan and are demanding all the payments now. There is no way we can do this, we have been giving them every penny we have as it is.

What are our options? Other than layoffs or shutdown. What are their usual next steps from here? Or should we just go to court and deal with it there?

I know of one company who had much the same problem, they went to their local TD and told him they have two options:

A: Revenue gets the back tax, the company closes and a dozen people go on the dole.
B: Revenue write off the back tax, the company contines and people stay employed.

The TD then went to Revenue and Revenue took option B.

as an accountant, I have had a lot of dealings with Revenue. things don't always move in there as fast as you would expect.

Are you dealing with local office or Collector General's Office in Limerick.

My advice would be to keep talking and negotiating. More importantly - keep paying anything you can when you can. You need to be seen to me making a genuine effort.

By all means work every angle you can as per the last poster but keep talking, paying and filing returns on time

Thanks for the Advice.

We are currently pursuing both the options mentioned.

Also, we are dealing with the Collector General. I spoke to an ex-Senior Tax Inspector this evening and they informed me that there is no point in talking to the Collector General about business viability. They are normal civil servants who operate a collection system. Our Tax Inspector in our local office is the person to make a case to.

as an accountant, I have had a lot of dealings with Revenue. things don't always move in there as fast as you would expect.

Are you dealing with local office or Collector General's Office in Limerick.

My advice would be to keep talking and negotiating. More importantly - keep paying anything you can when you can. You need to be seen to me making a genuine effort.

By all means work every angle you can as per the last poster but keep talking, paying and filing returns on time

THanks.

This has been our approach from day one and we will be giving them another 20k or so this month. We have paid about 250k in total in 2010.

Any chance of getting a loan and pay Revenue to get them off your back??

I just can't understand Revenue sometimes. I know losts of people who owe more and Revenue have never contacted them!! It seems like if they sniff money they get impatient. Also, if they latch onto you, they are impossible to get rid of until they are paid. I'd say you are unlucky that you got some eager beaver in Revenue who is on your case.

Back