Revenue debt

Asha2012

Hi, I have recently received a revenue check and based on this have discovered have have incorrectly claimed some tax credits. I had incorrectly put in for income continuance, when I looked into it further there was relief at source so wasn’t entitled. I amended this on my forms and repaid for the amount I received. I also do not have back up for medical claims so will need to adjust this down and repay. However it looks like I will need to repay the single persons tax credit. I bought a house with my partner in 2015 but we didn’t move into it until 2017. I think I should repay 2 years but think will get charged for the four, especially with the other amendments it will look like I was falsifying information. I am terrified here. The repayment could be ten k without penalties or interest. I have no savings as I was supporting the family on my own until this month. Will revenue accept payments of 100 a month to clear this. Thanks

Don't get ahead of yourself, yes it is a worry but Revenue will be sympathetic to deal with.

Be logical, outline what you claimed for and where the errors are and then contact Revenue to make a ' voluntary disclosure ' , the words are important here as it demonstrates you recognise an error was made and you are keen to address these errors fully.

This will be a process but it will work out with staged repayments probably through adjusted tax credits.

Thanks very much for that it is reassuring to hear. I had a call with them and they told me to wait for a letter or call, so will just have to relax until that is received. I am just terrified of a deman for a large repayment that wouldn’t be possible to meet. But hopefully will be able to get this sorted with them soon

You are unfortunate in that you seem to have a couple of what you call errors, but which Revenue might call fraud(??) You could certainly have a full audit so as others have suggested, the Voluntary Disclosure is the only way to go.

Thank you for the responses, so if I provide a voluntary disclosure will that mean they will not need to carry out an audit?

However it looks like I will need to repay the single persons tax credit. I bought a house with my partner in 2015 but we didn’t move into it until 2017. I think I should repay 2 years but think will get charged for the four, especially with the other amendments it will look like I was falsifying information. I am terrified here. The repayment could be ten k without penalties or interest. I have no savings as I was supporting the family on my own until this month. Will revenue accept payments of 100 a month to clear this. Thanks

Do you mean the single person child carer credit? If you weren't living with your partner until 2017, you'd still be entitled to the credit before that. You just need some evidence that you weren't living with them. Household bills showing your different address at the time would be reasonable evidence I would think.

Thank you for the responses, so if I provide a voluntary disclosure will that mean they will not need to carry out an audit?
If it's accepted as correct and complete, yes.

I have already amended and paid back what I have received on the income continuance and the medical receipts I cannot find.

An unprompted qualifying disclosure is where you tell revenue there might be a problem, before they audit you. They will hit you with interest and smaller penalties of 10% (I think). If you said nothing and we're fully audited, the penalty climbs to 100%. You're doing the right thing at the minute

Back