Reupholster

Maling

Anyone here have had any experience with reupholstering armchairs or sofas? Any inputs on how much do they cost (in Dublin)? Are they worth it?

I have recently reupholstered a worn but much loved armchair. I am delighted with the result. It looks like new. In my experience this is expensive - a similar price as buying a new mid-market priced armchair - so it only worth it if you have an expensive and well made piece of furniture or an antique. However, reupholstering has obvious environmental benefits too over throwing something in a skip and there is an almost endless choice of fabric you can use if you want something really unique. I am happy to recommend the Sofa Factory but you may get a lone operator who is cheaper.

Totally agree with above post, as expensive as buying new but if it's an old quality piece you will probably have better than what is available new at the moment when it's done. I got a 3 piece suite upholstered many years ago now, it's the original one I bought for the house 30 yrs ago, I still love the shape and size so covering it was the ideal option. I used a small local family firm and they will be doing some dining chair seats for me shortly when I can decide on colour!

I feel it usually works out best if there is not too much wood in the furniture as it is the section that will show its wear and tear the most. Any items that have had the wood french polish redone don't usually work out as well as the original version. Like with wooden floors the stressed look is probably best and adds to the character.

Having ours reupholstered was the same price as buying a new suite at the time but well worth it as the frame was in very good condition. A.J. Furniture in Capel St did ours and they are still in business as far as I am aware, hopefully Covid has not changed this.

I figured that reupholstering would probably be if the overall design and wood was something worth keeping, that or the piece has sentimental value. I was reading up and it looked like the price was the same or if not, more expensive than buying brand new. I never fully understood why but hey. Thanks for the input!

I have used blackrock upholsterers a few times and the quality was excellent and the price was reasonable. Not cheap but cheaper than buying the same quality furniture again .

It’s a lot of manual work so I’m not surprised it’s expensive.

I was really pleased . I loved the shape and size of the sofa and chairs and it seemed wrong to Chuck it out and buy the same again . There was a really good range of fabrics to choose from which is a big advantage

I was quoted 3200 to recover a 3 and 2 seater sofa set. Didn’t go ahead with it yet, might get a second quote as I felt it was expensive. Would be interested to hear other quotes.

It's too long since I did mine for the quote to be of any use if I could remember it but the type of fabric makes a big difference to cost, same as curtains. Labour is kind of fixed amount but fabric is the variable.

The cost of fabric is a very large part of the upcycle, fabric for an armchair will be approx 6.5 to 7.5 mtrs. Any good fabric will be 20€ to 1'000€ per mtr. So check your fabric requirements first.
I was quoted 3200 to recover a 3 and 2 seater sofa set. Didn’t go ahead with it yet, might get a second quote as I felt it was expensive. Would be interested to hear other quotes.
That's about 30 mtrs of fabric. What was the cost of the fabric you chose.

I wasnt given the cost per metre. Just a good quality fabric. Am not in Dublin. Turnaround was also going to be delayed for 6 weeks as there is a waiting list.

I wasnt given the cost per metre. Just a good quality fabric. Am not in Dublin. Turnaround was also going to be delayed for 6 weeks as there is a waiting list.
You really need to have a costing breakdown to see if the quote was 'honest', or was he rebuilding the whole frame etc.

We used McKeon Upholstery in Dolphins Barn. They were recommended by a client who has worked in the furniture industry for over 50 years. The work they did was top class. It's not cheap though and in a lot of cases you can buy new furniture cheaper but if you have nice pieces of furniture that you would like to keep, it's worth doing. We have use McKeon's a few times.

When you reupholster you really are only saving on the beech frame which is the least most expensive part of most sofas-typically less than €300. The fillings and fabric are the most expensive. Removing the existing material and fillings is labour intensive and costly . Also these will be dumped which is expensive. It will work out more expensive than a new sofa so unless you really love the old sofa go for a new one.

I love my old sofa as it is firm and not deep, so as I am not tall this is the only one that I can sit comfortably on. All the modern sofas are soft and deep only suitable for my 6' 3" son in law. I would love to have it reupholstered and most of the upholsterers seem to be in Dublin. Can't seem to find one in the south east

Back