Returning to work after career break

kkilkenny

Was on a 3 year career break from a bank, due back after 30th sept. previously worked full time but since have had a second child.

Got the letter to return and signed and returned this to them. They are not telling me which branch I will be returning to. Contacted the area office, who said because of redundancy offers going on until 14th sept, I wont know where I am going until the week of the 24th sept. Thats the week before Im due back. So theres a possibility I will find out where im going on the friday and start on the monday.

This would not be such a problem if I didnt have childcare to sort out. Theres a possibility I could be going to branches in 3 different counties, which makes it pretty difficult for my 2.5 yr old to settle in anywhere, he already has language delay and things take longer with him as it is! Anyway I have obviously explained to them could they tell me as soon as possible for childcare reasons, but its really stressing me out how I am going to find childcare at such short notice.

I had also asked for part time and no news on that either.

What I want to know is can they actually do this? ie give feck all notice of where Im going to be situated. Surely it cant by my fault that redundancy offers are on at the same time they offered me to come back.

Banks aren't exactly caring employers anymore, probably telling the truth when they say they don't know where the vacancies will be, these redundancy situations are very messy and not always well managed.

Career Breaks are granted by different employers and have different rules. The good news is you have a job to which you can return; the bad news is that you wont know where you will be working until a short time before. To answer your question, your employer is within rights. Best of luck on your return to work.

I would advise seeking childcare near home rather than near work in any case. Youre more likely to change work/branch than home, so it means more stability. Also if you find a good creche or childminder, they can do after school care in time to come.

This only works of course if you have a local friend/family member/neighbour who can be on call at short notice should you need it.

Back