Laya Returning to Health Insurance after 5 year absence

Discussion in 'Health Insurance and healthcare costs' started by picorette, Sep 10, 2017.

1. picorette

picorette Frequent Poster

Due to unemployment, I lapsed my Quinn / Laya policy in 2012.

I am now looking to take out a new policy to give me hospital cover for possible future operations, as I have had some heart problems which may require surgery in the future, plus I may need a knee replacement at some stage. Cover for Consultant visits would also be required although I do not need GP cover as I have a Medical Card.

I am 56, and so would have Community Rating applied, but understand that Laya do give some credit for past policy years and unemployment.

I am considering Simplicity, Simply Health and Connect Choice, but am confused by all the choices and would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks
  2. snowyb

snowyb Frequent Poster

Just to note, there will be a 5 year waiting time applied for any pre-existing illnesses and conditions before health insurance cover will kick in fully.
    You will be treated as a new customer re waiting times. The first 6 months are only covered for accidents and injuries. After this 6 month waiting
    time any new illnesses are covered straight away, while a 5 year wait applies to any pre-existing illnesses.
    As you mentioned, there will be a max of 3 yrs credit allowed for the period of unemployment, and a 2% credit for every year you previously
    held health insurance in the past.

The following 3 plans with Laya are worth considering, including good day to day cover and full cover for cardiac and orthopaedic surgery in hi-tech + private hospitals with no excess or shortfall, if it is not classed as a pre-existing condition. Details as follows;

1. Simplicity Plan; price 1191pa; all public, private and the 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, max excess 100 x 2 per year per admission, 50 excess per day case, good day to day coverincluded on this plan - the first 100 not allowed. There is extra cover for a private room in a private /hi-tech hospital.

2. Simply Connect Plan; price 1179pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess max 150 x 2 pa per admission or 50 excess per day case; good day to day cover included - subject to a max of 300 refund per year.

3. Control 300 Create; price 1146pa; all public,private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 300 per admission to a private or hi-tech
    hospital or 125 euro excess per day case. Good day to day cover included, 80 euro refund per consultant visit.|518|462&source=plans

There is no waiting time to serve for day to day cover, regardless of age with Laya.

Regards, Snowyb