Returning Home Question:PRSI how long do you have to work before claiming dental?

Santry

I have just moved back home after nearly 15 years abroad. Before I moved away, I had worked for 5 years. My questions is, do my tax contributions/prsi contributions exist anymore ?? I was told by someone that they are null and void and don't count towards anything, but then someone else told me they were still valid. I am not working at the moment, staying home to raise the kids.

My other question then is how long does my husband have to work before his prsi contributions count towards dental claims etc., and can I claim off his contributions.

Thanks for any advise/comments.

Re: Returning Home Question

I have just moved back home after nearly 15 years abroad. Before I moved away, I had worked for 5 years. My questions is, do my tax contributions/prsi contributions exist anymore ?? I was told by someone that they are null and void and don't count towards anything, but then someone else told me they were still valid. I am not working at the moment, staying home to raise the kids.

I'd imagine that they count towards your pension but you should contact the relevant dept.

Yes, they still count. My mother was in a similar position when she moved back, but her stamp from the 1970s and 1980s still counts.

I agree - your PRSI contributions should still be on record and contribute towards PRSI benefits. You may also get PRSI credits or some other form of recognition for social insurance payments made while abroad. Ask SW. Your tax affairs are not so relevant as far as I know since as long as you don't have any outstanding tax liabilities what's in the past is not relevant now.

Back