Returning Home - Is it possible to sign on temporarily

clueless

I haven't been on the site for a long time but I have a question that is worrying me. I am hoping to return home. It is likely to be December. I am hoping to get temporary work until I can get something more permanent but seeing as things will be slowing down by the time I get back I might not be able to get anything until January. I just want to see what kind of safety net I have as the last time I wasn't working for about 6 months I blew through my savings. Is it possible to sign on when I get back or is that out of the question since I have not been in the country for a few years?

I haven't been on the site for a long time but I have a question that is worrying me. I am hoping to return home. It is likely to be December. I am hoping to get temporary work until I can get something more permanent but seeing as things will be slowing down by the time I get back I might not be able to get anything until January. I just want to see what kind of safety net I have as the last time I wasn't working for about 6 months I blew through my savings. Is it possible to sign on when I get back or is that out of the question since I have not been in the country for a few years?

if you have worked In any country Of the European Union you can take any entitlements with you for at least 3 months, and get the same benefits paid that you would get in that country.
if it is not EU country, and you have not paid any PRSI contributions in Ireland in the last few years, you won’t be eligible for Job seekers benefit.
You might however be eligible for Job Seeker Allowance.

You'd have too be habitual resident too get access too any sort of €€€.
You may need too show you plan on staying here for a while

if you have worked In any country Of the European Union you can take any entitlements with you for at least 3 months, and get the same benefits paid that you would get in that country.

It does not work exactly like that... you need to be registered as unemployed in the EU/EEA/CH state and follow their procedure for seeking work outside their state. Usually not an issue if you are returning to your own state. But if you haven't followed the procedure, it will be an issue. Instead the contributions you made abroad may be taken into account for a claim in Ireland - probably not the idea.

You'd have too be habitual resident too get access too any sort of €€€.

This is not the case. Contributions made in another EU state are taken into account in calculating Irish entitlements, if you move from an EU/EEA/CH to Ireland, regardless of your nationality.

Sorry I should have clarified. I haven't been working in the EU. I've been in Asia so I'm guessing I wouldn't be entitled. Thanks for the help everyone.

Sorry I should have clarified. I haven't been working in the EU. I've been in Asia so I'm guessing I wouldn't be entitled. Thanks for the help everyone.

You prob are but you will have to be means tested and satisfy a habitual residence test.

Habitual residency is a bit complicated. Basically, under EU law, Ireland has to treat all EU citizens as it would its own citizens for social welfare entitlement purposes. However, in practice, returning Irish emigrants are fairly easily granted habitual residency. Nevertheless, you'll still have to satisfy the usual criteria for a social welfare payment, particularly a jobseekers one. The state may not feel like giving you money just because you don't want to live off your savings!

Back