Returning from abroad, capital gains tax and section 29A

img-yg

Hi all,

My situation is I am living abroad (Australia). I acquired UCITS ETFs in the year of my departure and also in the following years as an ordinary resident. I will be non resident from 2019 and plan to return to Ireland at an indeterminate date thereafter.

My plan was to sell my ETFs in order to take advantage of the lower CGT rate here, prior to returning. However, my attention was drawn to the following online.

I found the following online. I can't link just yet owing to post count.

Capital gains exit tax
Anti-avoidance legislation has been introduced in respect of temporary non-residents who dispose of certain assets during a tax year of non-residence for the purpose of avoiding Irish capital gains tax. It applies with respect to the 2003 tax year onwards.

For the restriction to apply, an individual must beneficially own "relevant assets" on the 31 December of the tax year of departure. These are defined as shares in a company or a right to acquire shares or other rights in a company. The market value of the relevant assets on this date must be equal to or exceed either 5 percent of the value of the issued share capital of the company or EUR500,000 for the restriction to apply.

Where an individual leaves Ireland and during a period of non-residence sells relevant assets but returns to Ireland within six tax years of departure, the individual is deemed to have disposed of and immediately reacquired the relevant assets as at the 31 December of the tax year of departure at the market value on that date. Any chargeable gain accruing must be included in the tax return applicable for the year of return.

This legislation will not apply where, as a resident of Ireland, the individual would not have been assessable to Irish capital gains tax in respect of gains on a disposal of relevant assets.

This seems to imply that if I return to Ireland within 6 years of departure I will also be subject to capital gains there also? Does this apply to UCITS ETFs? Does this apply even if I did not hold the stocks at the time of my departure (having bought them later in the tax year of departure and also in subsequent years as an ordinary resident - what about ETFs acquired as non tax resident completely?)? Lots of questions

You have an interesting question here. My view is that what you are acquiring are not relevant assets. ETFs aren't shares in a company or rights to acquire shares in a company (basically options). So you should be outside the charge of it. For assets you didn't own when you were resident here, or at the end of the tax year when your residence ceased, I don't see this applying as your quote indicates "For the restriction to apply, an individual must beneficially own "relevant assets" on the 31 December of the tax year of departure."

There may also be an out under the Australian double tax treaty but you are into a complicated area there - tax treaty override and anti-avoidance.

This is a completed piece of anti-avoidance introduced to counter schemes whereby individuals made very large gains which were realised while non-resident.

If you are concerned you may wish to take expert tax advice on the matter.

On the face of it I’d imagine your overthinking it unless the fund is heavily invested in one company to a very large extent.

This was brought in, in response to a certain media tycoon who owned a valuable communications company and left Ireland to live in Portugal. He then sold the very valuable communications company while non resident and non ordinarily resident in Ireland so Ireland had not taxing rights and then Portugal use the base cost when you became resident for the CGT so instead of a very low value it was effectively the sales value so he paid no CGT in Portugal.

UCITs ETFs aren’t subject to CGT, so this discussion is somewhat academic.

In terms of what is covered by the provision, it pertains to “material interests” in companies (i.e. shareholdings of 5% or more) or shareholdings worth €500,000 or more.

Our PMs and private emails are probably being read as we speak...

In terms of what is covered by the provision, it pertains to “material interests” in companies (i.e. shareholdings of 5% or more) or shareholdings worth €500,000 or more.

Our PMs and private emails are probably being read as we speak...

Ah yes. Hence this law wouldn't apply to UCITS ETFs?

How do you know it pertains to 'material interests' - it would be great if you could like me to something I could read about. Haha they can read all my emails and PMs, they will quickly realise I have no money worth grabbing

Hi img-yg,

The definition of “relevent assets” is contained in Subsection (1) of Section 29A TCA 1997; it’s referred to there in the passage you quoted in your original post. A shareholding of 5% or more is often referred to as a “material interest” in Irish tax legislation.

Gordon

According an article on revenue.ie (I am not eligible to post the link) entitled: "exchange-traded-funds-guidance-note", UCITS ETF's are subject to CGT:

"In the case of ETFs that are domiciled in EU countries other than Ireland, it seems to be the case that the majority of such funds are structured and regulated as UCITS under the UCITS Directive (as are the vast majority of Irish domiciled ETFs). The tax treatment of such investments mirrors the tax treatment applicable to Irish ETFs. In other words, income payments (dividends) and gains on disposals are liable to income tax at the rate of 41% for payments arising on or after 1 January 2014. "

Hi irishexpat1,

You’re contending that UCITS ETFs are subject to CGT and then quoting an article from Revenue.ie which says that they aren’t!

Gordon

Back