Returning Emigrant From Dubai - Car Insurance

pjod71

Hi. I have recently returned from Dubai having spent 11 years there. In my ignorance I was not a named driver in Ireland so I am having a lot of trouble getting reasonably priced car insurance despite the fact that I have been driving for 30 years and never had a claim. The insurance companies I have spoke with either reject me outright or will not recognise my no claims discounts from Dubai even though they are from AXA and Alliance. Does anyone have a similar experience and were you able to find a company that were half reasonable?

Thanks
Philip

I think https://www.aviva.ie/ (AVIVA) had a deal for "inexperienced" drivers who could get insurance if they installed a monitoring system in their cars. Scroll down their landing page to see.

This crowd seem to be willing to get almost anyone a quote. I've never used them, but they may help you.

Thank you both. I will try Aviva in the morning. AXA and Allianz refused to even quote me even after explaining that I was insured with their companies in Dubai. The computer said “No” and that was it.

I was in the exact same position as you in 2016, returned from Dubai with a No Claims certificate from AXA Dubai and AXA Ireland wouldn't recognise it. One broker actually told me that he could get me insurance easier if I was a drunk driver. I ended up buying a small car and starting again unfortunately. Depressing stuff.

Back