returned resident-seeking advice on australian pension

G

gervatron

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone out there can help me...
I returned a year ago from australia after living there for ten or so years.
In that time, I accumulated a reasonably large(but not too large!!)amount of money in a superannuation(or pension) fund.
I have no plans on returning to Australia.
Now, my question to you is this... is there anyone who has withdrew their pension from an australian fund early, who was NOT a temporary resident, but a permanent resident? I realise temporary residents who work in australia[working holidays so on] are entitled to and often do take their pension early ,can't seem to get a straight answer from immigration or authorities over there yet.
Any advice on this matter appreciated

Hi gervatron...I'm in exactly the same position as you and I got a ruling that I can be granted payment of the funds when my permanent residency visa expires....So have a look at the date on your visa and at that point, the Australian DIMA will rule that your visa has expired, certify this and allow for the release of the funds. I have this in writing from the relevant authorities.

thanks Lauren... grrrr!! not exactly what i wanted to hear!!! but thanks anyway.. the validity of my visa expired six months ago, and as a matter of course I renewed it!! I wasn't thinking ahead! Oh well, im sure there is a way to do it. Im even willing to surrender the visa if it is possible...
thanks again.

G'day gervatron and Lauren - I too lived in Oz for 10 years and have a lump sum super which I can access in about a year from now. I took out citizenship before I left so I wonder if that affects my accessing the fund (as per your situation)? Also does anyone know if the Irish Revenue will try and grab a portion of my payout? Any links to advice sites gratefully received.

Best wishes

hello trumpet...
thanks for help. hey how are you accesing your super if you're now officially aussie??
Are you near retirement age or something?
Just a note on the revenue cleaning you out.. as far as my research tells me,if they dont know bout it.. they cant get at it can they?

I'm not sure you can get at super if you are a citizen unless you are willing to surrender that....In saying that though, my research was based around the 'permanent resident' visa and the response I got from DIMA was related to that.....

Not sure re the tax but I think as this super is derived from income upon which we already paid tax in Australia then we should be ok.....I'll let you know if I find out more..I'm not worrying about it for now as I have a little time to wait before I can access it...

hey lauren... just found out that although i have renewed my visa..i can cancel it if i want. But DIMA told me I cant access my super by cancelling a visa.. can you possibly tell me what kind of visa you had?? To see if I have precedent as they say on the courtroom tv shows y'know??

Thanks for the replies you two. Lauren not sure I like the sound of having to relinquish citizenship (no plans to return but you never know) - I'll contact DIMA and see, I know I will be taxed on it anyway by the aussies but I don't see why I should be giving revenue any of what's left. Yes gervatron I will be able to access my super at next birthday albeit with a heavier tax burden than if I leave it be until age 60. I will let you know if I find anything more relevant to both of you.

This is the person I have been dealing with who specifically certifies your immigration status and will therefore inform the super people that your funds have been released. I have a permanent residency visa but it doesn't expire until next year. Hope this helps!

Sue Coombes
Certification of Immigration Status Processing Centre
Tasmania State Office
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Fax: +61 3 6220 4029
Email: [email protected]

Back