Retriever dog breed, Crufts 2010 - help to identify please..

Plek Trum

Hi all,

got home to catch the end of Crufts yesterday. It was the Retriever category and one of the dogs really caught my eye (we are considering a dog in a few months time) The dog was white with quite long hair, like a tall 'Benji' from the 80's programme (won't explain, those of you that know will understand!)

I think the commentator said it was an 'Italian Retreiver' but have googled same with no luck. If anyone has ANY help on identifying the breed I would really appreciate it. Just to clarify it wasn't a White / Golden Retriever. Thanks as always...

please please please please please don't buy a pedigree dog when you can rescue one of the countless dogs in animal charities and pounds around the country. If you must have a pedigree, consider a retired racing greyhound.

please please please please please don't buy a pedigree dog when you can rescue one of the countless dogs in animal charities and pounds around the country. If you must have a pedigree, consider a retired racing greyhound.

Second that especially in light of the number of pedigree dogs being stolen recently. The insurance for them works out dearer and health issues can be a problem with certain breeds.

+1. Too many people out there breeding their own dogs to make money with no consideration for the pups or the mother.

Get a rescue dog and you'll have done a good thing as well as having a hardier pet.

+1 for animal rescue/dog pound

My brother was adament he wanted a pedigree dog. Wouldn't listen to the idea of a rescue. Got his dog (it was very convienient that the "breeder" was heading his direction & met him in a car park to hand over the pup!!!

The poor ole dog has had endless health problems & several operations due to inbreeding. He may be "pedigree" but looks like a mangled mutt.

So please opt for a rescue and save some dog from being put down (you can often get pedigree dogs from there also) and if you really want to go the pedigree route, make sure you see the pups environment, mother, father (if possible) etc

And be ready for more work than you ever thought possible. No chance of hopping in the car to nip away for a weekend (thought the kids put a stop to that ages ago!!)

Hi there,
If you were watching Crufts, the presenters had a piece on how to spot a puppy that was sold from a pupy farm. They highligted that if you were buying a puppy and do not see the mum, it is likely that the puppy has been born in a puppy farm...

Hi there,
If you were watching Crufts, the presenters had a piece on how to spot a puppy that was sold from a pupy farm. They highligted that if you were buying a puppy and do not see the mum, it is likely that the puppy has been born in a puppy farm...
or not... or the 'mum' is just some dog dragged in for show... or they show the mum and it's still a farm...

go get a nice dog from an animal rescue centre rather than paying hundreds for the dubious advantages of a pedigree

+1 - get a rescue dog, madness to go for a specific breed unless you breed dogs, show dogs or some other real reason not to just get an ordinary mutt.

on this topic, there's a misconception that all rescue dogs are somehow damaged, unstable and violent. Its utter nonsense. Many are there because their owners are no longer able to care for them, they are unwanted pups or strayed, rather than pyschotic canine criminal masterminds

It was our last full pedigree - with a pedigree as long as your arm and an ancestry tracing back to the time of the Ark who was the most psychotic criminal doggie mastermind I ever met.

BTW - we got him as a rescue dog, he had become gun-shy as a pup and was no longer wanted as a working dog so we rescued him. Then he spent many happy years terrorising us.

It was our last full pedigree - with a pedigree as long as your arm and an ancestry tracing back to the time of the Ark who was the most psychotic criminal doggie mastermind I ever met.

BTW - we got him as a rescue dog, he had become gun-shy as a pup and was no longer wanted as a working dog so we rescued him. Then he spent many happy years terrorising us.
too much inbreeding... whatcha name him - cletus? *G*

Way too much inbreeding - he did have health problems related to being a pedigree. Poor old Cletus - he was a good boy.

or not... or the 'mum' is just some dog dragged in for show... or they show the mum and it's still a farm...

go get a nice dog from an animal rescue centre rather than paying hundreds for the dubious advantages of a pedigree

+1 to all these sentiments. Ireland is notorious as the puppy factory of Europe - the British animal welfare groups are getting increasingly concerned and are starting to lobby their authorities about the problem of totally unregulated puppy farming in Ireland - given that the Irish authorities don't give a toss they probably figure some intergovernmental lobbying is in order.

I'd second the post about a retired/unwanted greyhound - they, and their relatives lurchers, make the most amazing, placid, chilled out (and frankly lazy!) dogs - 30 minutes a day of walking is more than enough. Once you look into their big sad eyes you won't be able to resist!

Back