Retiring 2015?? Age 65

amok

Hi

Can someone clarify please?

Can employers make you retire at 65 and if so can you claim job seekers benefit?

Thanks

Amok

You can claim Jobseeker's Benefit up to age 66.

Compulsory retirement at 65 will depend on the terms and conditions of your employment.

I may be wrong but I think I recall seeing somewhere that the Jobs seekers benefit is means tested.

Jobseekers Benefit is not means tested, Jobseekers Allowance is so when the 9mths of JB runs out then there may be an issue of means testing for the 3months left to pension kicking in.

Jobseekers Benefit is not means tested, Jobseekers Allowance is so when the 9mths of JB runs out then there may be an issue of means testing for the 3months left to pension kicking in.

The 9 month limit doesn't apply to 65 year olds signing on - the following paragraph is from the SW website

People over 65 who are claiming Jobseeker’s Benefit (JB), and who have at least 156 PRSI contributions, can continue to receive JB until their 66th birthday even if their claim is due to end before that date. This special provision extends the duration of JB for people aged 65 and over and aims to support the transition of older workers from the labour force into retirement.

I didn't know that gipimann, thanks for that info, that's handy to know.

Just to add from 1st Jan 2014

New provisions for older jobseekers

The Department of Social Protection is putting new administrative provisions in place to ease the transition from the labour force into retirement. From 1 January 2014, if you are claiming Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance and are aged 62 or over, the following will apply:

• You will no longer be required to engage with the activation process and you will not be subject to penalty rates for non-engagement
  • You can voluntarily avail of a range of supports (for example, training or employment support programmes) from the Department of Social Protection
In addition, most jobseekers aged 62 or over will be placed on a yearly signing arrangement with their local social welfare office (this means that they do not need to sign on regularly) and most will be transferred to Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) payments so payment can be made directly into their bank account.

Certain categories of older jobseekers may be required to engage more frequently with their local social welfare office. For example, casual jobseekers of 62 and older must continue to submit weekly dockets of their work patterns.

Note that to qualify for either Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance you must be genuinely seeking work and be available for full-time employment and these conditions will continue to apply to older jobseekers.

Back