Rest of Ireland Retirement Planning

Dr.Koala

I want to review my retirement plans with a professional to make sure I'll be OK to retire in 3-5 years. However, I'm not sure what type of professional to look for. An accountant? A financial planner?

My retirement funds are mainly in a 401K in the U.S., but I also have a retirement plan here. Also, I think I'll be entitled to both U.S Social Security as well as the state pension here. I have questions about (Irish) tax implications for funds I get from social security or draw from my 401K, and what I need to do to get my U.S. Social Security credits recognised for the Irish state pension. I'm not looking for investment advice; I'm pretty comfortable with the funds I'm in.

Donegal/Sligo area would be best.

you need a tax advisor and one that understands US tax. if you go to one of the big firms they would be able to get the international advise from the US colleagues.

Thank you! Following your advice, I tried searching for tax advisors online and in the golden pages, and I got a bit overwhelmed because I didn't know who the "big firms" are. A few websites mentioned international tax, but I kind of got the impression that they were targeting wealthy clients. Can anyone give me the names of a few big tax advisor firms? I would be especially interested if you know of someone who can handle the occasional U.S. tax query and is happy to deal with ordinary (non-wealthy) people.

Thank you! Following your advice, I tried searching for tax advisors online and in the golden pages, and I got a bit overwhelmed because I didn't know who the "big firms" are. A few websites mentioned international tax, but I kind of got the impression that they were targeting wealthy clients. Can anyone give me the names of a few big tax advisor firms? I would be especially interested if you know of someone who can handle the occasional U.S. tax query and is happy to deal with ordinary (non-wealthy) people.
PwC, KPMG, Deloitte and EY are the top 4 accounting firms in Ireland. They will have people in house that can assist but this will come at a cost

Back