Retirement and Social Welfare question

An update. SW reviewed my wife's case and have dug their heels in on the nine-week suspension, which means my wife is not receiving the full coordinated pension that she is entitled to. They also insist on using the word 'resigned' instead of 'retired' in their correspondence. I have checked the rules regarding supplementary pension and they clearly state that if through no fault of your own you are denied a SW payment then you are entitled to supplementary pension. Although I have a feeling that it could be a long and frustrating procedure. There is still an appeal to be heard by the external SW appeals body, but it's certainly no way to treat a retiree who has completed their service.

Update: after much email correspondence between my wife and SW with no joy (including the Minister's office), my wife had enough and called into her local INTREO to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor said what had happened was wrong, and fair play to her, fixed it that very day. There is a lot to be said for old fashioned face-to-face communication.

60 is not a normal retirement age, it is a minimum retirement age.
The other thing to bear in mind is that getting your pension from the HSE can take anything from 6 months to a year. You're effectively left without an income for that period.

The other thing to bear in mind is that getting your pension from the HSE can take anything from 6 months to a year. You're effectively left without an income for that period.
Quite frankly, the HSE's administration of the Retirement Benefits is a disgrace, with retirees often having to wait up to a year before getting their benefits. If this happened in the private sector, the organisation would be challenged before the Pensions Ombudsman for maladministration. This is complete incompetence.

Quite frankly, the HSE's administration of the Retirement Benefits is a disgrace, with retirees often having to wait up to a year before getting their benefits. If this happened in the private sector, the organisation would be challenged before the Pensions Ombudsman for maladministration. This is complete incompetence.

I can only go on my wife's experience, when she took CNER from the HSE.
She made the application, with the 3 months notice, and got all her benefits, including lump sum, within that 3 month period.
She got a nominated advisor, who was contactable by phone, to manage the process. She was talked through all the requirements, and all the documentation needed. Additional years were purchased, from historical service in a voluntary hospital, so it wasn't straight forward.
Maybe some people get lucky, but her experience was pretty smooth and the person she dealt with was very competent.

If you follow the guidelines, things should be ok. However, I will, myself be going through the process in 2025, so I'll keep you updated on any issues I encounter. Obviously, a year is completely unacceptable. I mean how do people, who have limited savings, survive without income? Can you claim a state benefit?

Back