Retired

G

gg

I have a question about the old age pension , my father, 70 last May, is drawing the old age pension from the government. But he now has the opportunity to earn 350 per week, he wants to start working as he is bored.

Can anyone tell me if his earnings will effect his government pension, he will be earning €18200 PA Gross.
He has no other pension or income.

I would presume that his earnings would have to be declared but by either him or his empoyer.

If your father is in receipt of a contributory old age pension, then his taking up of employment will not effect this.

If he is receiving a (means tested) non contributory pension, then it will effect this.

Note that if your father is married, as well as being over 65, then he will be exempt from paying income tax up to a total income level (including pension) of €31,000. [The threshold for single/widowed is half of this]

Tks

Thanks Aidan C,
It is a contributory pension he is getting at the moment, not means tested , so realistically he should be able to take up employment with out any reduction to his pension once it is under the threshold , thanks.

Back