Retention Planning for an Annex

doberden

Hi,

I have an annex to our house (house is detached) which we have partitioned off with a stud wall and rented out. It has a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. Anyway, I didn't realise I would need planning. I'm in the Dundrum area and am wondering what I need to do to get retention planning and how long it would take? Do I need to involve an architect or just fill out the forms myself!

Thanks,

I suspect that you will not be granted Planning. It is a separate dwelling unit and that would be very much frowned upon. Furthermore, if they granted permission, it would allow you to sell that part of your house.

The only way to get Planning for such a thing is to apply for Permission for a Granny Flat.

You'll have to fill out forms, and do a full set of drawings - plans, sections, elevations etc. of the extension, indicating the original and the new bit.
It's a little tricky if you've no experience, so you should probably get a draughtsman etc. - you shouldn't have to pay more than €1200 even in Dublin.

I'd also be a little worried about Building Regs - regarding fire escape for example. Also it might affect your house insurance.

only apply for retention when you have received enforcement procedings.
if you can prove that the development is more than seven years, it does not require any planning.

Building Regs would still probably apply no amnesty for them after 7 years

"only apply for retention when you have received enforcement procedings."

At that stage, I'm pretty certain you won't get planning.

"if you can prove that the development is more than seven years, it does not require any planning."

Not true. The Local Authority cannot force you to pull it down but it is still an unauthorised development and is regarded as such for e.g. c.p.o and insurance ( i.e. no value attached).

"Building Regs would still probably apply no amnesty for them after 7 years"
This is true but I'd be pretty iffy about the standard of build and compliance with Building Regs. if the builder or employer who built the darn thing did not even know they needed planning permission!!!

mf

Back