Restaurant in Cork

Ron Burgundy

Hi all,

I'm looking for somewhere special for a meal with my wife.

It has to open on a Sunday as its for our 1st wedding anniv and we actaully want to have the meal on the date and not the night before.

I don't mind spending a few quid and a mix of food would be nice.

How about Cafe Paradiso on the Western road? Vegetarian but devine.
Hardwood on Popes Quay is also very good as is Isaacs on MacCurtain Street.
Or for a really special treat you could try Le Gourmandies (unsure of street name but is between South Mall & Oliver Plunkett St.) - went there for Valentines last year and it was fatastic (albeit very pricy).
Or how about whisking your wife down to Kinsale for the day/evening? Too many good restaurants to mention. My boyfriend did this for one of our earlier dates (taxi down and back up to town) and earned a million brownie points!

We're staying in Hayfield Manor for a few nights, so somewhere that would suit that location i meant to add.

Vegetarian is a no go, unless i was going in to clatter them on the back of the head !!

Le Gourmandies sounds good.

I've also been told about The Cornstone by someone else ???

The Cornstone - I wonder did they mean The Cornstore? On the Coal Quay? I've not been there yet but I thought it was a pub that did good food and not so much a special place to go for dinner.

The Cornstore is fine, but it's not somewhere special. Gourmet bangers and mash, burgers and pizzas.

Les Gourmandise would be a good special occasion spot.

While Cafe Paradiso is vegiterrean - it's high-end and very inventive cooking.

Others are Jacobs on the Mall or Jacques - neither of which I've eaten in, but both are rated highly. (Having said that I've heard mixed reports on both).

All are city centre so short taxi ride or stroll to from Hayfield manor.

Last edited:
The Cornstore is fine, but it's not somewhere special. Gourmet bangers and mash, burgers and pizzas.

Les Gourmandise would be a good special occasion spot.

While Cafe Paradiso is vegiterrean - it's high-end and very inventive cooking.

Others are Jacobs on the Mall or Jacques - neither of which I've eaten in, but both are rated highly. (Having said that I've heard mixed reports on both).

All are city centre so short taxi ride or stroll to from Hayfield manor.

Looks lovely but according to their web site they do not open on a sunday......:(

I've heard great things about Augustines on Washington Street - about 10 mins walk from Hayfield Manor. I haven't eaten there myself but it's on my list of places to go. [broken link removed]

if u are driving there is a nice restaurant called Mrs Dees Mount oval village
it is open on sundays and has an early bird menu from 4-8
went there last sunday and to be honest it has been the nicest restaurant we have been to in a while
the food was lovely , but it was the extra service and the decor and layout tht most impressed, plus value for money
service can be lacking in some restaurants now , but its nice to go to some where quality

around douglas there are other restaurants depending on budget
bullys, amicas (opening thurs i think ),east village,probys, ecos(lovely but u would have to book in advance ) there is also chinese and indian restaurants as well - alot of choice

You should go on the Saturday night to les Gourmandises, for a special occasion it is the best. Star Anises, then jacques. After that, there are places that are nice for going with a group etc, but not particularly special for a couple.
Obviously there are loads of places to just pop into but that isnt what you are looking for. Dont eat in the main hayfield manor restaurant, very dissappointing for the price.

What about 'The Captains Table' on the south Gate Bridge..The food is excellent & the service surperb & its not too far from Hayfield Manor.If you tell them in advance..they may throw a little something your way as a memento.Went there for dinner in July for hubbys B/day..at the end of the dinner he was presented with a nice pen....I thought it was a lovely touch.The bar downstairs too is lovely & relaxing...enjoy yourselves wherever you go!

I have eaten in Les Gourmandises and it was ok but in terms of value for money it was the worst restaurant I have ever eaten in in Cork, ie it was a complete rip-off. BTW I have lived in Cork all my life.

I would second Star Anise as being very good.

Also for a great dining experience I would suggest Ivory Tower, this is expensive but IMHO it is well worth it.

Back