Responsive solicitors?

tt225

I'm in the process of buying and have committed to a quick transaction (within reason). I was recommended a solicitor who doesn't strike me as being all that responsive to date. I'm worried that he might end up slowing things down. The recommendation was from a mortgage broker rather than someone I personally know who's dealt with him.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of a good Dublin-based solicitor who charges a fixed fee and who was particularly quick and responsive? If you prefer you can PM me.

Thanks in advance!

Hello.

We use Paul McNally solicitors in Crumlin (2 Windmill Road, Tel 4563878). This is our third time to use him in a house purchase / sale transaction and i can't recommend him highly enough. He is very efficient, deals by email, only requires one visit to sign contracts etc.

He is also a member of homebuyhomesell, which means that it is a fixed fee of 999 (i.e. 999 for purchase, 999 for sale) plus misc costs (total about 2.5k to buy and sell a property.

It also helps that he is a nice friendly chap, who doesn't deal in nonsense!

Hope this is some help.

Callan & Co. River Bank House, Dodder Park Drive, Dublin 14. 01-4900100
These guys are very nice. Small friendly office and speak plain english!!! They are very reasonable. Ask for a fee before you commit.

He is also a member of homebuyhomesell, which means that it is a fixed fee of 999 (i.e. 999 for purchase, 999 for sale) plus misc costs (total about 2.5k to buy and sell a property.

But the OP asked for "fixed fee"? What you're describing there is hardly fixed, is it?

I would take anything other than a fee contingent on the sale and purchase price to be a fixed fee, e.g. that on offer through homebuyhomesell?

Note the 'fee' refers to the professional fee, not outlay (generally fixed-only the stamp on the mortgage tends to vary) and other costs.

John Glynn in Tallaght quoted us an amazing €1850 and stuck to it despite several unexpected hurdles (including lots of extra work for them) during the buying process.

01 451 5099 is their number - very responsive. I have recommended them to several people with no complaints.

But the OP asked for "fixed fee"? What you're describing there is hardly fixed, is it?

Perhaps I should clarify. By "fixed" I meant that the professional fee is a quoted amount (e.g. 999 plus VAT plus outlays), as CCOVICH suggested, rather than the old school "professional fee" of 1% of purchase price.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I am actually selling and buying at the moment and contacted the number given for Paul McNally above.

What they said is that unless you go through "homebuy Homesell" that the fee they quote would be considerably higher! Sometimes it does not pay to diall direct then.

I phoned around yesterday afternoon and the quotes I got ranged from €999 plus VAT per transaction to €3,700 plus VAT (professional fees to include sale and purchase). It really does vary, then.

Paul McNally does alot of business through referrals which is why the rate differs as he's also aligned with a mortgage broker, have used him twice before through our broker and they are very thorough and efficient.

Just as an aside (Incidentally have no connection with the following!) my mother used a solictor in Tallaght, Rochfords 014597695 near DNG in the Square and thought they were excellent, they went out of their way to accommodate her and to assist with any query she had and she couldnt fault them, they were also very reasonable - and worked on a flat fee. They did all conveyancing in a very quick time - approx 6 weeks from issuing contracts to closing sale.

I phoned Homebuy Homesell this morning and the way it works is that they key in your details and they assign you a solicitor from their panel. The jobs are obviously issued on a rotation basis, so when my details were keyed in, Paul McNally Solicitors came up for the job.

The girl in Homebuy Homesell passed on my details and I am awaiting a call back either this afternoon or tomorrow.

I phoned Homebuy Homesell this morning and the way it works is that they key in your details and they assign you a solicitor from their panel. The jobs are obviously issued on a rotation basis, so when my details were keyed in, Paul McNally Solicitors came up for the job.

The girl in Homebuy Homesell passed on my details and I am awaiting a call back either this afternoon or tomorrow.

That was handy, didnt know it worked that way!

Sorry if this is OT but just for future reference are Homebuy/Homesell the company that are affiliated with the credit union (seem to vaguely remember a company setting up in the last couple of years that had preferential rates for Credit union members)

Sorry if this is OT but just for future reference are Homebuy/Homesell the company that are affiliated with the credit union (seem to vaguely remember a company setting up in the last couple of years that had preferential rates for Credit union members)

Yes, they are affiliated with CUs, you have to be a CU member to use their service, although I'm not sure if there is a cross check.

To be honest, I dont think they adhere to the credit union thing. The girl asked me if I was a member of the Credit Union, so I told her yes.

It did not look to me like they were going to do any type of cross check as they did not even ask me what Credit Union I was in.

I am a member of Clondalkin Credit Union anyway, so I wont get to know if they actually do a cross check

Back