Resigning from the Civil Service!

branners

Hey,

my sister has made the decision to resign from the Civil Service, she has kids and wants to be a stay at home mother and feels she will be entitled to more benefits if she resigns. She knows about the 9 week wait before jobseekers, if she gets it, but her husband will be entitled to FIS and the kids to Back to School. Her youngest is one and the way she sees it, she wont be working again for at least 18 years, longer if the kids go to college.

So is she right to resign from a pensionable job?

Thanks,

Branners

She would not be entitled to Jobseekers, as she won't be looking for work.

Has she looked into going part time instead? If her husband's earnings are low enough to be eligible for FIS, then it would seem reckless to give up her job.

Seeing red here sorry - jobseekers is what it says............a payment for those who are looking for a job not a dole for people who'd prefer not to work!!!!!!!!

She would not be entitled to Jobseekers, as she won't be looking for work.

Has she looked into going part time instead? If her husband's earnings are low enough to be eligible for FIS, then it would seem reckless to give up her job.

She is planning on setting up a business at home (at some stage in the future!) which could get her something from Jobseekers.

As I said she wants to be a stay at home mother and she feels stay in the service and she'll get nothing for 20 years until she goes back. If she resigns she will get something?

As others have said, if she has decided that she wants to be a stay at home mum for the moment, she is not available for work and will not qualify for Jobseekers.

If she was eligible she may not qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit (it depends on which class of PRSI she has paid) so would be means-tested on her husband's income for Jobseeker's Allowance.

If that she wants to do then I wonder why you feel you have to intervene in her decision. Sorry if that comes across as blunt; I understand you care about her obviously but if that's what she wants then let her.

Its really a question will she be better financially, or have a better quality of life. You can't answer either question for someone else unless you know all the details.

I would recommend that she take a Career Break first.

If staying at home is working out for her, then she can retire.

Once she out she's unlikely to get back in for the forseeable future.

I resigned from the Civil Service last December. I didn't qualify for Jobseekers Benefit as I was paying Class D PRSI. You should check with your sister what Class PRSI she pays. I went on to start my own business working from home and it's been great. I'm just sorry I didn't leave sooner. Quality of life is much better now.
Hope this helps somewhat.

The whole premise is flawed if you ask me. Its likely she won't qualify in the long term with the partner working anyway. Not to mention the idea of kids needing to looking after kids up to 18yrs and beyond isn't realistic.

Career breaks aren't blocked ... they're actually being encouraged because the repalcement will cost less (usually) than the person heading off on CB.

Hey,

thanks for all the replies. Just to make it clear, I have no problem with her resigning as it is her decision. I just want to make sure she has thought of all the pros and cons.

Thanks again,

Branners

Back