Residents Society

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

I see that my local housing estate is starting a residents society.
What does a residents society do that neighbourhood watch doesn't do?
We currently have Neighbourhood watch in operation in the housing estate.

Also, is it the norm to pay an annual subscription to this resident society and if so what does the residents society do with all this money that they gather?

I ve never heard of a "Resident's Society" are you sure its not a resident's association? Perhaps the "Resident's Society" is a kind of social thing?

ajapale

I've never heard of a residents' society as opposed to a residents' association either. I have heard of residents' associations that deal with general upkeep of the area, social events etc. They may also liase with the Gardaí on Neighbourhood Watch issues too. In my experience Neighbourhood Watch committees don't tend to be that active and the scheme just gets set up and then peters out in many cases.

Where the onus is on the residents to maintain and upkeep their own area, then yes you should contribute your annual subscription. Everyone benefits from a well maintained area, so everyone should contribute.

Marion

They're good also for dealing with local politicians on planning issues and the like - the sort of stuff we all know we should do ourselves but it's so much easier to leave it to people with a little more community spirit and energy.

I'm always happy to contribute financially (but hide behind the curtains when it comes around to committee election time...).

We paid €15 last year for our residents assocation. We get four or five skips twice a year and put them around the green areas for all the residents to use. We also have a childrens christmas party from the funds aswell. They have had a lot of contact with the local politicians and council, things such as getting a pedestrian crossing outside our estate and also a yellow box junction.

Back