Residential Tenancies Act '04 - Landlords registering??

Betsy Og

Just wondering if all landlords letting residential accomadation to private individuals (i.e. not rent control type) are complying with the above.

Seems an obligation to register came in from 1 December 2004.

Havent heard much about it ...... wondering is there some loophole to say you neednt register, or is there any compliance enforcement in place (supposed to be twice the fee of €70, i.e. €140 if registering late).

Not a landlord myself but know a few.

According to my landlord (who registered last year) all landlords have to register with it, regardless of who their tenants are.

I received a request to register as a landlord -- even though I don't own and have never owned a rental property!

I registered too at the later end of last year, cheque was cashed but have not heard anything else too.

Well I don' t think you will hear anything. It's not like you just joined a social club. An acknowledgement would be nice though, huh?

I registered my tenancy with the PRTB at the start of December. I heard nothing since then, so I dropped them an e-mail on Monday and attached a copy of the signed form. I noticed that the cheque got cashed yesterday, so I expect to receive acknowledgement in the next day or two that the tenancy has been registered.

I know the wheels of the civil service move very slowly, but 4 months is a bit much!

I registered a few months ago and have heard nothing at all.

I reported someone for not being registered , wrote to the Board giving the address and they confirmed that the LL was not on their list. Reason: Their rental property was causing us alot of hassle and noise etc.
Apparetly a few weeks after the complaint was lodged the premises was emptied out of tenanats by the LL and has been since, thats over 2 months ago. Do not know what the wrap on the knuckles was for him though.

I registerd two properties with them in early dec 04. After receiving no reply I tracked down someone working there and called them. They are inundated with work. They have roughly 70,000 of a backlog to register.
They reckon that there are about 120,000 to 140,000 landlords in this country.
They are so backlogged that they have started cashing in the cheques for fear they will go out of date. Your cheque may be cashed but don't expect to hear anything from them for a while.
To answer the original question, you must register. The fee is 70 euro. They have stamped all forms as they arrived. They have pushed out the deadline to register, but the person i spoke to did not state to what date. I had a feeling that anyone in the backlog would only be charged 70 euro.
The fines for not registering are substantial. Up to 3,000 euro if they find you to be a landlord and not registered. Also I believe that they can fine you 200 euro per day from the date that are requested by them to register but do not.

Mention this to your unregisterd friends !!! 3,000 euro fine, 200 euro per day if they fail to register and a court appearance with a maximum jail sentence of six months.

If they are not aware of the PRTB, they should become aware of it very very quickly .

can anyone tell me will this include people renting on the 'rent a room' scheme?
I'm living with my partner in his apt and have claimed the rent allowance (on the basis of better in my pocket than the tax mans), should he now sign up?
We are planning on buying in about a year or so and then renting out the apt, so do we need to wait until then?
Thanks in advance...

If your partner is resident in the apartment he does not need to register if you are paying him rent. The list of exemptions is given in Oasis. Any time I ever tried to phone the board I never got an answer or callback. They're better at responding to email.

Imperator

I must have registered before they got caught in the backlog so because I heard back about 3 weeks later, I had requested a receipt for my payment and this arrived. Just one thing though, a lot of landlords only seem to be registering themselves now, I thought you had to be registered (with the County Council) prior to Dec 04? I've been renting an apartment now for almost 3 years and have been registered since then. Can I ask - do you as landlords keep a rentbook? I do, because again I thought it was a legal requirement to do so but I never really hear of anyone else doing it.

once a landlord has registered and paid the 70 euro is there then a monthly fee and if so how much is it?

Remeber that if you are already registered with a local authority you do not have to pay the 70 Euro

Apologies, the €70 is just for one tenancy, not sure about the cost for multiple tenancies or short term lets.

another moneymaking racket from the government.
they should already know who has properties let between landlords tax returns and the tenents tax credit.

who does a landlord register with? is it the corporation/co. council in the jusisdiction in which the rented proprty is located?
thanks, pad

Back