Residental Property Tax question

Teknon

I am about to close on a house which is being sold as an executor sale. As this house wouldn't have been the main residence of the vendor are they liable for NPPR and if it isn't settled before the sale closes does that libability (if any) transfer to me? The letter of Probate came through at the beginning of this month if that is relevant.

Thanks

T

Make sure they pay it or you'll become liable for it.

The executor should ensure it is paid.

I bought a property recently where the tax was unpaid by vendors. My solicitor made it as condition of contract that it (and other outstanding fees etc. related to the property - if any) be paid prior to keys/money being handed over.

Basically .... alert your solicitor to it and get him/her to sort it.

Thanks Paddy, my solicitor is insisting on a declaration from the vendor that if there is any outstanding NPPR that the vendor is liable. They are rufusing to sign a declaration and threatening to charge me interest if I do not close on the closing date. I've instructed my solicitor to chase them for the declaration which she had originally stipulated in the contract.

Just was interested to see what experiences other people may have had in relation to this.

Will be sticking to my guns and insisting they provide this declaration.

Have a read of https://www.nppr.ie/

Found this in the FAQ section:

What if I'm selling my house - how do I prove that I have paid the charge?
[FONT=&quot]You can request the relevant local authority to give you a certificate to this effect. This will be evidence of payment and will formally discharge any liability in law for payment of the charge.

If they are playing hard ball with you then you should play hard ball back. Their messing about, it could be argued, is costing you money too. Your solicitor will sort it for you.
[/FONT]

Thanks for the clarification. As you have now changed the RPT references in your posts, perhaps you might please also change the thread title accordingly?

From nppr.ie "Late Payment Fees" "What happens if I don't pay? "

Please note that non payment of a charge and any associated late payment fees will be a charge against the property concerned and one which will continue to be such (for twelve years after the charge or late payment fee concerned became due) even were the property in question to be sold. In these circumstances, the owner that originally incurred any outstanding charges and late payment fees would continue to be liable for the outstanding charges and late payment fees in addition to the new owner of the property.

PaddyBloggit's advice is 100% correct. Stick to your guns.

Bear in mind we're talking about €200 per year here for a maximum of 2 years so €400 total. Hardly something to be panicked about.

However, it's normal for solicitor to request proof that bin charges, management charges (if relevant) and in this case NPPR tax are paid. Normally you can't close without these being sorted.

@robd - is there not an interest penalty of 10% (€20) per month on this?
Also I assume there is a CGT implicvation which might be worse.

WizardDr you are correct my solicitor calculated with interest and penalties the bill could have been as much as €1000, luckily for me the vendor's solicitor has provided the statutory declaration we asked for and I closed on the sale yesterday :)

Thanks for the advice all.

Back