Resident in Eire for tax purposes; UK tax liability

rpg

So I moved to the UK permanently last month, but as I was resident in Ireland for 183 days + during this tax year, my worldwide income is taxable.

I sent off a P50 to claim back any tax overpayment (I was working in 2014 in Ireland right up until I left) to which they responded with:

Revenue said:
In order to apply to Revenue for a review for the year 2014, you must submit the following after 31st December 2014:
(*) A statement of your final UK tax liability for the year 2014.

Which I expected. However, I'm a little lost as to how to proceed when the time comes.

The problem is that the UK tax year runs from 6th April 2014 - 5th April 2015. My concern is how I will be able to show just my tax liability from now until the 31st of December (~5 months).

Will it be sufficient to send copies of my wage slips, and total everything (income + tax & national insurance paid) for that period on a print-out, or will I require something more official?

The other issue is how I split and document my tax liability for this period, in relation to my personal allowance (currently £10,000 in the UK for 14/15). Will the cumulative totals on my wage slips suffice for my personal allowance for this period?

FYI, my income is low for this period (now until the 31/12) in the UK (as I'm training) and will be around £8k gross - and I will be resident in the UK for tax purposes in 2015.

Do you have any income apart from PAYE income? It sounds like you don't. If not you should be able to avail of Split Year treatment whereby you are only taxed on your PAYE income in Ireland up to the date of leaving.

To avail of Split Year Treatment you need to satisfy Revenue (state in writing) that you are leaving Ireland on a permanent basis and will not be resident in Ireland in the following tax year.

Do you have any income apart from PAYE income? It sounds like you don't. If not you should be able to avail of Split Year treatment whereby you are only taxed on your PAYE income in Ireland up to the date of leaving.

To avail of Split Year Treatment you need to satisfy Revenue (state in writing) that you are leaving Ireland on a permanent basis and will not be resident in Ireland in the following tax year.

Thank you so much for the information. I was not aware of Split Year Treatment. My employment contract is fixed-term for 52 weeks (up to end of July '15) and shows thatI will not be resident for tax purposes in Ireland in 2015.

I am going to draft up a letter now and include a copy of my employment contract & hopefully they will initiate a tax refund for me now.

And yes, you're correct. I don't have any income apart from PAYE income (in either the UK or Ireland).

Thanks again.

Back