Resetting an Apple watch

Chewbacca

Usual story, changed iPhone forgot to unregister Apple watch and now all it says is Too many passcode attempts and to reset it.... if only it was that that easy....

Hold side button and only option to either switch it off or SOS appear.....

Googled online.... suggests log into iCloud, Find your devices and erase/reset.... did that, watch does not appear.... other option press on the option to switch off don't slide it to off and wait for erase option to appear, it doesn't...... something else suggested getting to switch off / SOS stage and pressing the Crown button I tried that too both uncharged and connected to charger.... nothing works it's driving me nuts is there is there any hard reset option or anything else I can try?

Is the watch charged? can you see it from either the old or the new iPhone? Could I suggest you use the Watch App on your iPhone rather than Google to find help? Did you create a 4-digit passcode for your watch on the watch itself?

Last edited:
Is the watch charged? can you see it from either the old or the new iPhone? Could I suggest you use the Watch App on your iPhone rather than Google to find help? Did you create a 4-digit passcode for your watch on the watch itself?
Watch is charged, on new phone it jus gives option to pair new or existing watches but doesn't do anything. I tried installing app on old phone (which I gave to my father) it also doesn't show anything. There was a passcode on the watch but I don't remember how I created I assume it would have been on the watch but it doesn't let me enter anything.

The Watch app on your iPhone is where all that stuff lives. It seems you need to do a "force restart" on the Watch. To force restart your Apple Watch, press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo.

[EDIT] For clarity, sorry about this, the side button and Digital Crown are on the same side of the Watch.

Then go through the PITA of setting the Watch to sync/interact with your new iPhone and keep a copy of your passcode somewhere safe.

HTH

Back